2 Police Officers Shot, One Stabbed in Violent Confrontation in Brooklyn

2 Police Officers Shot, One Stabbed in Violent Confrontation in Brooklyn
NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea speaks at a press conference on Sept. 12, 2019. (Jason Xiong/NTD News)

Two police officers were shot and another was stabbed in Brooklyn on June 3 during a violent confrontation with a knife-wielding suspect in the evening, the New York Police Department said.

In a press conference on Wednesday, NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said he had visited Kings County Hospital to see the victims and they are expected to make a full recovery.

Shea said the incident took place at around 11:45 p.m, nearly four hours after an 8 p.m. curfew went into effect intended to quell unrest following protests over the death of George Floyd in Minnesota.

The commissioner said two police officers were assigned in the 70th precinct to an anti-looting post to stop people from breaking into stores. Video surveillance footage shows a male “casually” walk up to the officers at the intersection of Church Avenue near Flatbush Avenue before taking out a knife and stabbing one officer in the neck, narrowly missing an artery.

“At roughly the same time, a block or two away, a uniformed sergeant and police officer, hearing shots fired that appeared to come from that initial scene, responded,” Shea said.

When the sergeant and police officer arrived at the scene, they found the suspect with a gun in his hand, which is believed to have belonged to one of the officers.

According to the New York Post, the officer and the suspect then struggled for the weapon, which went off, striking one officer in the hand and another in the arm. The sergeant fired at the suspect, who was placed in police custody and rushed to Kings County Hospital in serious condition.

Shea said 22 shell casings had been recovered from the “chaotic” scene by members of the service as well as a knife, and police are currently investigating the matter, noting that the attack appeared to be unprovoked. “I cannot thank enough the staff at this hospital for what you do, not just today but every day taking care of our officers,” he added.

Mayor Bill de Blasio was on his way to the hospital to check on the officers, according to the Post.

Wednesday’s attack comes shortly after a police sergeant from the 44th precinct was struck by a hit-and-run driver overnight in the Bronx earlier this week. Shea said he is still in critical care but recovering slowly.

Protests in New York over the death of George Floyd descended into chaos on Monday just hours after Gov. Andrew Cuomo and de Blasio declared a citywide curfew starting from 11 p.m until 5 a.m. Tuesday, which has since been extended to last the week.

While groups of peaceful protesters have continued to march on the streets within the curfew time restrictions, thousands more have defied it, with protesters often turning on police, according to Shea, who told CBS on Monday that a number of officers have been subject to violent attacks.

“We’ve had officers trying to be burned alive in cars, we’ve had officers trying to be blocked in with road blocks and surrounded and then attacked and pulled out of cars while they’re in them,” Shea said.

From The Epoch Times

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.