2nd Death From Coronavirus in UK

NTD Newsroom
By NTD Newsroom
March 6, 2020UK
share
2nd Death From Coronavirus in UK
Hospital beds are seen in a file photo. (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

A second person has died from the COVID-19 coronavirus in the United Kingdom, according to multiple reports.

The man, who died on Friday, March 6, was in his late 80s, and was also known to have underlying health issues, according to Milton Keynes Citizen reported. While he was receiving treatment, he was staying at the Milton Keynes Hospital, and when official tests came back verifying that the man passed away due to the Novel Coronavirus, other patients were put into isolation.

In addition, the nurses who had came into contact with the man who died were also said to have been put into isolation, according to Sky News. The news outlet also reported that while the other patients were being put into isolation, a deep clean of the hospital was being done.

“Public Health England is contacting people who had close contact with the latest confirmed case of COVID-19,” Alison Barnett, the Center Director of the Public Health England South East, said, according to the Milton Keynes Citizen. Barnettt also stated that the man who died from Coronavirus was from Buckinghamshire.

Barnett also stated that people who had contact with the man who died were being reached out to.

“Close contacts will be given health advice about symptoms and emergency contact details to use if they become unwell in the 14 days after contact with the confirmed case,” Barnett stated. “This tried and tested method will ensure we are able to minimize any risk to them and the wider public.”

The Director of Public Health for Buckinghamshire County Council, Jane O’Grady, stated that the risk of getting the coronavirus for the general public still remains low, Milton Keynes Citizen reported.

“I’d like to reassure people that the risk to the general public remains low and we are working with health colleagues to do everything we can to stop the virus spreading and ensure the people of Buckinghamshire are protected,” O’Grady said. “If you have not been contacted by Public Health England as a close contact of the confirmed cases you do not need to take any action at this time.”

Sky News reported 47 more cases of coronavirus had been confirmed in the United Kingdom since the death of the Buckinghamshire man, bringing the total number of confirmed cases of the virus in the country to 163.

The news outlet also reported that the first death from the coronavirus came a day before, on Thursday. The woman was reportedly in her 70s, and was staying at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, according to Sky News. Prior to her confirmed diagnosis for coronavirus, she had been in and out of the hospital for other reasons. Ultimately, she was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday and when she underwent testing for the virus, the results came back revealing that she was positive.

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.