Royal Carribean, the world’s second-largest cruise line operator, announced that all passengers on board the Anthem of the Seas were cleared of the coronavirus after four were subjected to medical examination.
“We were just advised by the New Jersey Health Authority that they received the results from CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), and the individuals tested negative for novel coronavirus,” The cruise liner said in an update on Saturday.
(1/3) We were just advised by the New Jersey Health Authority that they received the results from CDC, and the individuals tested negative for novel coronavirus. We appreciate your understanding during this unexpected and fluid situation.
“We really appreciate your understanding during this unexpected and very fluid situation. Our top priority is your health, safety, and wellbeing, and that of our crew,” Royal Caribbean said. “We would never put you at risk, especially when it comes to health. With every decision we’ve made, it’s been important that we are overly cautious. So, thank you for your patience.”
People would receive a prorated refund for the missed days, but standard cancellation penalties would still be upheld, the company said on its Twitter account.
“As planned, we will depart from Cape Liberty, New Jersey, at 3:00 PM EST on Monday, Feb. 10. Tomorrow (Sunday), we will share an update with you at 9:00 AM EST regarding your check-in and boarding times. Please see our revised itinerary, which we shared with you earlier today, along with the rest of the details.”
The Anthem of the Seas formerly docked in Bayonne. Twenty-seven passengers were screened, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy said in a statement. Twenty-three were cleared, and four were taken to a hospital for evaluation early on Feb. 7.
All other passengers were allowed off the ship, Bayonne Mayor Jimmy Davis said in a statement.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) considers the incident “Below Low Risk,” Davis said.
Royal Caribbean said that the CDC was going to test samples from the four guests. None of the four showed any symptoms of the virus aboard the ship, and none had been in China since Jan. 26.
Anthem of the Seas was scheduled to leave Friday on a new voyage spanning over eight nights, but the departure was initially delayed until Saturday afternoon to give the CDC enough time to test the four people taken to the hospital, Royal Caribbean said. Later the departure date was changed to Monday.
Epoch Times reporter Zachary Stieber contributed to this report