Australian Woman Sends Chilling Email to Mother Days Before She Died in Washington

Alan Cheung
By Alan Cheung
July 30, 2019US News
Australian Woman Sends Chilling Email to Mother Days Before She Died in Washington
The George Washington University building on September 2014. (Screenshot/Google Maps)

A woman from Queensland, Australia, sent a chilling email to her mother shortly before she was found dead in Washington D.C.

“Come take me home … ready to go back,” Meghan Godfrey wrote in the email days before she died, reported.

Janelle Moncrieff, her mother, arrived in Washington on July 17, shortly after receiving the email, and worked with local law enforcement, community services, and Australian expats to find her missing daughter, reported.

After a local women’s outreach center sent out photos of Godfrey, they reported that the 27-year-old woman was in a “vulnerable state.”

“The daughter is in a vulnerable state, had her wallet/ID stolen, and is currently living on the streets. We have been unable to locate her since Friday,” an HER Resiliency Center spokeswoman wrote.

“Her mother is not going to leave until her daughter is found,” she added.

They released six photos on social media, some of which showed her posing for the camera looking clean and tidy.

But in one photo she is sitting on a footpath and leaning against the wall of a building, with what looks like a black tote bag, bottle, cup, and packet of cigarettes.

The National Missing and Unidentified Person’s System had found an unidentified female body at the bottom of a building at George Washington University on July 27, the Daily Mail reported.

The U.S. agency sent out a composite photo of Godfrey’s face as part of their appeal for help.

Composite photo of Meghan Godfrey
Composite photo of Meghan Godfrey. (National Missing and Unidentified Person’s System)

Although she had suffered extensive injuries, the agency reported that her face was still “recognizable.”

After the agency’s photo was released, someone noticed that the agency’s photo had one thing in common with one of the previously released photos—the top she was wearing.

The police matched the unidentified body with Godfrey by July 28, the next day.

On that day, Ami Angell started a GoFundMe page to raise money for Moncrieff to travel to the United States, return tickets for Godfrey and Moncrieff, extended hotel stay, and funeral expenses.

Ami Angell စာစုတင်ရာတွင် အသုံးပြုမှု ၂၀၁၉၊ ဇူလိုင် ၂၈၊ တနင်္ဂနွေနေ့

The page had received $10,013 from 85 people after a day.

The relationship between Angell and Godfrey is not known.

Brothers Vanished During Business Trip

In news related to missing persons, two Wisconsin brothers who vanished during a business trip to Missouri are now believed dead and an arrest has been made.

Investigators have been sifting through dirt at a farm in Braymer, Missouri, about an hour northeast of Kansas City.

Meanwhile, in Shawano County, Wisconsin, family and friends of 35-year-old Nick Diemel and his 24-year-old brother Justin are praying for a miracle.

“He texted me Sunday morning that they were on their way to meet an individual that they had already made an agreement to meet with,” said Nick’s wife, Lisa. “After that, I have not heard from him since.”

They missed their flight home later that day.

The brothers’ cousins and a coworker drove to Missouri to help find them.

“Nick and I have four kids,” Lisa said. “He is the backbone of this family. Our oldest two children understand the seriousness of this. The youngest two just miss their dad. They cry for him and ask where he is.”

The brothers own a livestock company and travel throughout the Midwest to visit farms where they have cattle being raised, including the farm now at the center of this search-turned-death investigation.

That farm is tied to a man who went to prison for cattle fraud. Garland “Joey” Nelson, 25, who lives on the property, has been charged with stealing the brothers’ rental truck.

The truck’s GPS and some local surveillance video confirms the brothers drove to the farm Sunday morning. But, hours later, it was Nelson who was spotted alone in the truck. Police said he drove it to a remote commuter lot, where he left it, with the lights on and engine running.

According to court documents, investigators believe Nelson is “a danger to the community” and “has tried to mislead law enforcement.” But still, where the brothers are, and what exactly happened to them, remains a mystery.

“We’re checking buildings, ponds, waste piles, everywhere we can, to find these brothers,” said a lead investigator.

CNN contributed to this report.

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.