Baby Badly Burned After Mom Leaves Car Seat on Hot Stove

NTD Newsroom
By NTD Newsroom
January 28, 2018US News
Baby Badly Burned After Mom Leaves Car Seat on Hot Stove
(Stock photo CC0)

A 10-month-old baby girl was badly burned after her mother placed her car seat on top of a stove on Jan. 24, police said.

The unnamed baby from Ohio suffered second and third-degree burns and was airlifted to Children’s Hospital Medical Center for treatment, Fox 19  reported. 

NTD Photo
The Ohio residence where the incident occurred. (Google Maps)

Chief Dorian LaCourse of Addyston Police Department told Fox 19 the mother, who was also unnamed, was not aware that the burner was on. She placed the car seat on the stove to keep their dog from reaching her daughter.

“She rushed into the house and I guess they have a big dog,” LaCourse told the news station. “She didn’t want the dog to get the kid so she placed her up on the stove. The burner was on and it went from there.”

The recording of the 911 call was released on Jan. 25. A crying and hysterical woman could be heard in the background as a man tried to seek help.

“I need somebody here right now. This baby’s 10 months old, she’s burnt bad….Please hurry. She’s got skin coming off and everything,” the man said in the call, reported Fox 19.

“I set her car seat on the stove and it was still hot….” the woman said in the background.

“The stove was still hot and she didn’t know it,” the man said in the call.

The dispatcher asked how badly the baby was burnt.

“Probably 3 quarters of her left side of her butt, her back, her face, her arms, everything on her left side of her leg,” the man replied, reported NBC 4.

The baby was in a critical but stable condition, according to a hospital representative, reported the news station.

“We are still conducting the investigation with family members to find out exactly, you know, what transpired. Why it went that way. But from all indications at this point it appears accidental,” Chief LaCourse said, according to NBC 4.

“You have got to think constantly when you have young kids around,” Fox 19 cited LaCourse as saying. “Be careful, be mindful of where you are putting kids.”

“I wouldn’t think something like this would have happened, but it did—but I don’t know what goes through some people’s minds sometimes. I’m sure the dog would have scratched her or something. Sure, put her up, but was there a table close by you could have put her on? It’s hard to say,” he added, reported the news station.

Recommended Video:

Toddler With Rare Heart Condition Gets to Go Home After 402 Days in the Hospital


ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.