US

Buffalo Wild Wings Employee Dies, 10 Others Hospitalized After Being Exposed to Chemical

By Paula Liu

A Buffalo Wild Wings employee has died and 10 others have been checked into a hospital after being exposed to a cleaning chemical.

The incident happened at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in Burlington, Massachusetts, on Thursday. Several employees there were exposed to chemicals in a floor cleaner, reported USA Today.

Burlington authorities responded to the site shortly after 5:30 p.m. after being notified of a “sick individual and a potential chemical release,” Interim Burlington Fire Chief Michael Patterson said at a news conference.

Authorities arrived and found a man being treated by paramedics outside the establishment, he was then taken to Lahey Hospital and Medical Center, where he later died.

Patterson said he was in “serious condition after being exposed to a strong cleaning agent” when he was to the hospital, reported Financial Post.

Authorities believe the man, whose identity has not been released, was exposed to a cleaning agent called “Super 8,” a sodium hypochlorite solution. Patterson said the cleaning agent is common, reported USA Today.

“The gentleman that passed away was an employee of Buffalo Wild Wings, who attempted to squeegee the product out of the building when he was overcome,” Patterson said, reported the Financial Post.

The newspaper reported that the other individuals exposed to the chemical have been checked into a hospital and have undergone tests. Their symptoms included difficulty breathing as well as watery eyes. Two of them were customers and the rest are employees at the restaurant.

Patterson added that a hazardous material team was called to the scene “in order to meter the entire restaurant” and determined the establishment to be safe.

The Chronicle Herald reported that the chemical exposure does not pose a threat to the public.

USA Today reported that a Buffalo Wild Wings spokesperson said in a statement: “We are shocked and saddened to learn of this tragic accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation.”

Patterson said local law enforcement will be conducting an complete investigation into the incident.