In a social media post on May 16, the 30-year-old said that he is working to build eight homes.
“Back on the site today, it has been a while,” McGregor wrote, referring to a previous job he held as an apprentice plumber before he pursued professional boxing.
The homes are located in Santry, north Dublin, at a site where a vacant commercial warehouse had been situated, according to Irish Independent.
View this post on Instagram
Back on the site today, it has been a while. This is my first property development. We have 8 homes here closing in on finish. 3 bedroom houses, designated for families that currently reside in hotels around the capital, without a home to call their own. But not for long. Through the storm comes the sun! Walking around this land and these homes today, meeting all the neighbors, knowing that soon there will be families living here, creating their own memories, and building back their lives, gives me great pride! Ireland forever! Ireland first! Ireland always!
“This is my first property development. We have 8 homes here closing in on finish,” he wrote.
He posted accompanying photos of the construction site where new homes were in the making.
He said the three-bedroom homes are designed for homeless families in Dublin who are currently living in emergency accommodation such as hotels.
McGregor continued by reflecting on what the project meant to him.
“Walking around this land and these homes today, meeting all the neighbours, knowing that soon there will be families living here, creating their own memories, and building back their lives, gives me great pride!” he exclaimed.
He finished the post by saying: “Ireland forever! Ireland first! Ireland always!”
Photos also show him on location smiling with locals and speaking to a builder.
McGregor, who is from Ireland, is the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion and one of the biggest draws in MMA. He returned to the UFC last fall after a hiatus during which he made his boxing debut, a loss to Floyd Mayweather.
He was suspended from the UFC for six months and fined $50,000 for a brawl after his loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018. McGregor has not fought in the UFC Octagon since.
Earlier this year, he announced his retirement from MMA, saying: “Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as ‘Mixed Martial Arts’ today. I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
“I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!”
But a week later, he reversed his decision and tweeted “see you in the Octagon.”
I want to move forward, with my fans of all faiths and all backgrounds.
All faiths challenge us to be our best selves.
It is one world and one for all ❤
Now see you in the Octagon.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 4, 2019
He is expected to return to the UFC in the coming months.
Council Was ‘Unaware’
A spokesperson for Dublin City Council told the Irish Independent that they were not involved in any housing development project with McGregor, nor were they aware of the development.
But the spokesperson added that McGregor may be working with other parties and that any project or planning application may be under another name.
The Irish Independent reported that it is attempting to contact the company behind the planning application for the site for comment, and that “there is no obvious link between McGregor” and the company, according to records.
“We’ve heard nothing at all about it. It’s us he should be getting in touch with,” a senior council source told the Irish Independent. But he also said that any additional permanent accommodation in Dublin is welcome.
Conor McGregor building eight three bedroom houses for homeless families. Literally doing the work of the Irish government. pic.twitter.com/UlyVzteStw
— Cian Carroll (@CianByNature) May 17, 2019
Noel Rock, a local lawmaker, praised McGregor for his act of giving.
“Conor McGregor’s best-known catchphrase is ‘you’ll do nothing’ so credit where it’s due to him for actually doing something,” Rock said, the Irish Independent reported.
“Soon there’ll be eight more families living here—that’s a good thing, so credit where due to all involved.”