Cuomo Announces 1-Mile ‘Containment Area’ in New York’s Coronavirus Hot Zone

Zachary Stieber
By Zachary Stieber
March 10, 2020COVID-19share

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that schools, houses of worship, and businesses in New Rochelle, a town just outside New York City, will be shut down for two weeks in an effort to stem the spread of the new coronavirus.

One of the largest clusters of cases in the nation centers around the Westchester County locale. After a lawyer who lives in New Rochelle and works in the borough of Manhattan in New York City tested positive for COVID-19, the disease the virus causes, his family and a neighbor who drove him to a hospital tested positive.

Officials have since located more than 100 cases in the immediate area, prompting them to implement what they’re calling a “containment area.”

“New Rochelle is a particular problem. It is what they call a cluster. The numbers have been going up. The numbers continue to go up. The numbers are going up unabated. And we do need a special public health strategy for New Rochelle. What we are going to do is focus on an area concentric circle around the site of the majority of the cases in New Rochelle,” Cuomo told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday.

Starting Thursday, all facilities in the area, which measures one mile in diameter, will be closed. Schools will get a thorough cleaning. A testing station will be set up by the state and a private healthcare system.

NTD Photo
Small bottles of hand sanitizer selling at $4.99 at a grocery store in New York City on March 9, 2020. (Jeenah Moon/Getty Images)

Cuomo said he knew local business owners wouldn’t be happy with the disruption.

“I get it. This can’t be a political decision. This is a public health decision,” the 62-year-old Democrat said. “It is a dramatic action, but it is the largest cluster in the country. And this is literally a matter of life and death. That’s not a overly rhetorical statement.”

National Guard soldiers will deploy to deliver food to houses in the containment zone and help with cleaning public spaces, Cuomo said.

Cuomo the day prior announced the state would produce up to 100,000 gallons of hand sanitizer a week and distribute it to areas labeled the most at-risk from the new virus as well as those that have been impacted the most by the illness.

The hand sanitizer will be free, Cuomo said.

Some retailers and websites have run out of hand sanitizer as people around the country make preparations for potential spread of the virus in their community.

NTD Photo
The lines to reach TSA immigration process are seen empty at one of its terminals at the John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York on March 9, 2020. (Eduardo Munoz/Reuters)

New York officials also said that if any student, teacher, or staffer at a school tests positive for COVID-19, the school would be closed for 24 hours for cleaning. Depending on the situation, the school might be closed for longer.

New York state has one of the highest case counts in the country, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, along with Washington state and California.

The new virus, which emerged in China late last year, has spread to over 100 countries, infecting over 100,000 people and killing thousands. The death toll in the United States was 25 as of noon on Tuesday.

There is no vaccine or proven treatment, although many have gotten better through rest and medical care.

Approximately 80 percent of patients experience mild to moderate symptoms, according to a joint study by the World Health Organization and Chinese researchers of patients in China. The other 20 percent require hospitalization, with some requiring intensive care and breathing assistance.

Experts in the United States are recommending those who are older or those with underlying health issues avoid going out as much as possible. They should be prepared to stay in their houses for a period of time if spread of the virus takes place in their community.

Ways to avoid contracting the illness include avoiding crowds, avoiding sick people, frequently washing hands or using hand sanitizer, and not touching one’s face.

Experts also recommend regularly cleaning objects and surfaces in the home, at work, and at school.

From The Epoch Times

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.
Comments