‘Dozens’ of Family Members of US Troops Still in Afghanistan, Pentagon Says

Isabel van Brugen
By Isabel van Brugen
November 11, 2021Afghanistanshare
‘Dozens’ of Family Members of US Troops Still in Afghanistan, Pentagon Says
Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby speaks during a press briefing at the Pentagon in Arlington, Va., on Sept. 3, 2021.(Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

The Pentagon on Wednesday said that “dozens” of family members of U.S. troops still remain in Afghanistan, nearly three months after the Taliban takeover of Kabul and after President Joe Biden withdrew all soldiers from the country.

Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby made the remarks during a press briefing when pressed by a reporter about the “number of immediate family members of U.S. service members in Afghanistan.”

“I don’t have a whole number on that,” Kirby initially responded, adding that the department doesn’t have a specific number of immediate family members of U.S. troops still in Afghanistan.

“We believe it’s certainly most likely in the dozens,” he added, noting that the department is “working this as hard as we can.”

Kirby added: “We take the obligation seriously to our people and to their families. And that’s why we put the advisory out to the services last week, to give them a place, a portal where they can go to put information on there that we can then share with our State Department colleagues to get them out. We’re going to stay at this.”

Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Colin Kahl issued a memo on Nov. 4 stating that the Biden administration is currently putting together a database of relatives. It asks all U.S. military personnel and civilian employees with immediate family members in Afghanistan who wish to be evacuated to contact a department-associated email address.

The Pentagon “places a high priority on facilitating the departure of Afghan nationals who are immediate family members,” the memo states, noting that the Pentagon will “continue to provide support in this relocation effort to the greatest possible extent.”

“Given the current situation in Afghanistan and the absence of an in-country U.S. embassy presence, there are a number of challenges related to departures of Afghan nationals, including those of unique interest to DoD,” the memo notes.

The mission to evacuate Americans out of Afghanistan “is not over,” Kirby added, noting that defense officials are “going to continue to work inside the interagency to do that.”

When asked by a reporter about whether there is any concern about the safety of family members of U.S. troops in Afghanistan, Kirby responded, “Of course there is.”

The U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan was set into motion by then-President Donald Trump. But the Biden administration extended the withdrawal deadline and has been widely criticized for how it handled the pullout.

Critics focus on several major aspects: how Americans were left behind when the last U.S. troops left on Aug. 30; how 13 U.S. service members were killed by a suicide bombing attack while helping evacuate Americans and others; and why the evacuations were so chaotic, especially with regards to forcing Americans to brave Taliban checkpoints to reach the U.S.-held airport in Kabul.

Military leaders in the wake of the withdrawal have mostly portrayed it as successful, noting that it was the largest airlift in U.S. history.

Zachary Stieber contributed to this report.

From The Epoch Times

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.
Comments