Elon Musk on Wednesday stated that suspended Twitter users won’t be able to return for several weeks, coming months after he expressed a desire to allow former President Donald Trump back on the platform.
“Twitter will not allow anyone who was de-platformed for violating Twitter rules back on platform until we have a clear process for doing so, which will take at least a few more weeks,” Musk wrote in response to a post about the firm’s safety and integrity chief about the midterm elections.
It came after Musk said he communicated with the NAACP, the Anti-Defamation League, the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), Color of Change, Free Press, The Bush Center, and the Asian American Foundation.
“Twitter’s content moderation council will include representatives with widely divergent views, which will certainly include the civil rights community and groups who face hate-fueled violence,” he wrote early Wednesday.
Hours ahead of Musk’s Twitter acquisition, the world’s richest person sent a letter to advertisers that he will not allow the platform to become a “free-for-all hellscape.”
As Musk met with some of those groups he mentioned, top officials in the Anti-Defamation League, Free Press, and others criticized him.
“Just days ago Elon Musk promised Twitter advertisers that this site would not become an ‘anything-goes hell-scape.’ We got news for you. It already is,” Free Press co-CEO Jessica Gonzalez wrote in a tweet, claiming Musk’s proposed council won’t be good enough for her group’s demands.
“When the world’s richest man/owner of this very site himself traffics in conspiracy theories days after claiming to advertisers that he’s going to be a responsible leader, all I can say is: I’m not overreacting by expressing my concerns. Actions always speak louder than words,” wrote Yael Eisenstat, who is the vice president at the Anti-Defamation League who later met with Musk.
Before purchasing Twitter for $44 billion last week, Musk had said he would roll back some of the social media website’s content moderation policies and accused those rules of favoring left-wing users. He’s also said he would restore Trump’s account, which was banned in January 2021 as Twitter officials publicly linked him to the U.S. Capitol breach on Jan. 6, 2021.
Earlier this year, Trump stated that he will not return to Twitter and that he favors Truth Social, his own platform that is a competitor to Twitter. For years, Trump’s account drove huge engagement on Twitter and often shaped news cycles for days—or weeks—at a time.
From The Epoch Times