Father Shoots 7-Year-Old Son, Then Turns Gun on Himself

CNN Newsource
By CNN Newsource
September 3, 2019US News
Father Shoots 7-Year-Old Son, Then Turns Gun on Himself
Officers said they found 7-year-old Mason Holcombe with multiple gunshot wounds inside the home, on Sep. 2, 2019. (WMAR)

RISING SUN, MD (WMAR)—Maryland’s Cecil County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an apparent murder/suicide Sunday, Sept. 1 afternoon.

At 3:30 p.m., deputies, Maryland State Police troopers, and Town of Rising Sun police officers were called to the scene of the shooting in the 1100 block of Ridge Road in Rising Sun. At the scene, officers said they found 7-year-old Mason Holcombe with multiple gunshot wounds inside the home.

According to officials, his father, 33-year-old Joshua Holcombe was also found inside the residence suffering from a gunshot wound. He was flown to Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland Medical Center where he died shortly after.

Deputies said Joshua Holcombe shot Mason before turning the gun on himself. They said the shooting happened after an argument broke out between Joshua and another family member inside the home.

Authorities located and seized a handgun they believe was used during the incident inside the home.

Investigators were able to contact witnesses who were there during the incident. They said the investigation is still ongoing and is being handled by detectives as an apparent murder/suicide. The motive for the incident is still being actively investigated by Sheriff’s Office detectives.

Police said Mason had previously attended Cecil County Public Schools but was currently enrolled in a private school in Chester County, Pennsylvania for the current school year. Cecil County Public Schools will have a crisis counseling team available to provide any necessary assistance to students and staff.

The Sheriff’s Office is being assisted by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore. Anyone who has questions regarding the press release may contact Lieutenant Michael Holmes at (443) 309-0201.

A person is in custody in the shooting death of a 7-year-old St. Louis boy

A person is in custody in connection with the death of a 7-year-old boy who was fatally shot this week, St. Louis police Lt. Col. Rochelle Jones said on Aug.14, 2019.

Police provided no further details.

Xavier Usanga was shot and killed while he and his sisters played in the backyard of their home in the city’s Hyde Park neighborhood, police said.

One of his sisters and her friend were grazed, Xavier’s father, Ifiok Usanga, told CNN in an interview on Aug. 14,2019.

Two men were shooting at each other in the street when the child became another innocent victim of gun violence, the boy’s mother said.

“The bullet went through my son’s throat and then grazed my daughter’s elbow,” Dawn Usanga told CNN affiliate KTVI.

An 18-year old was also critically wounded during the summer night gun battle, according to Major Mary Warnecke, deputy commander of investigative services for the St. Louis Metro Police Department.

Xavier was scheduled to start second grade at Clay Elementary, his mother told KTVI.

“The people in the community, everybody knew my son. He was the boy who always smiled,” Xavier’s mother old CNN affiliate KMOV before the vigil. “He would run up and give you a hug.”

“Hopefully, somebody will learn that there are consequences to your actions,” she said.

Xavier’s sister, Angel, told CNN her brother was “a happy baby, always happy.”

Xavier Usanga was killed
Xavier Usanga was killed by gunfire a day before the start of second grade, on Aug.14, 2019. (St. Louis Police)

His father said Xavier asked him to fix his bike on the day he was shot.

“I didn’t fix it that day, and now he’s gone,” he said, looking off in the distance.

NTD Photo

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.