Fox News may be willing to keep paying Carlson millions of dollars to keep him under contract despite taking him off the air, at least according to foreign policy analyst and political commentator Frank Gaffney.
“It seems as though Tucker is still under some constraints from Fox, at least as best I can tell for the moment,” Gaffney told NTD News.
Gaffney said the end of the Carlson-Fox News relationship is most significant because his primetime show “Tucker Carlson Tonight” was “arguably the most important platform that conservatives have had, certainly in the past few years. And it comes at a moment when that’s deeply injurious to the effort to wage the war of ideas.”
Gaffney, the executive chairman of the Washington D.C.-based Center for Security Policy, said he didn’t always agree with Carlson’s views, but “the fact that he brought that platform to bear and gave large numbers of thoughtful, informed individuals an opportunity to communicate far beyond the normal reaches of the conservative movement, losing that is a body blow.”
Other political commentators, including former Fox News host Megyn Kelly, believe that while Carlson’s Fox News shows have ended, he hasn’t technically been fired and will continue to pay out Carlson’s current contract in a way that prevents him from taking his talents elsewhere. Gaffney shares this belief.
Gaffney said he believes Fox executives ended Carlson’s shows as a way “to keep him or others enabled by him from talking about ideas or policies, or, you know, the direction of the country” in ways that the network’s owners dislike.
“[Fox News] seem to be willing to pay handsomely for the privilege of keeping [Carlson] essentially, incommunicado,” Gaffney said.
It’s not entirely clear what contractual constraints still tie Carlson and Fox News together. NTD News reached out to the network for comment but did not receive a response by the time this article was published.
Carlson appears to have retained Bryan Freedman, a lawyer who previously represented Kelly during her split with NBC News. On Sunday, Axios reported that Carlson may be preparing to challenge Fox News after Freedman told the publication that “the idea that anyone is going to silence Tucker and prevent him from speaking to his audience is beyond preposterous.”
China’s ‘Unrestricted Warfare’ With US
Gaffney also warned that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is subverting the United States through a combination of economic warfare, information warfare and efforts to sway influential figures in America’s government, business sector, pop culture, and academia. These alleged subversion efforts by the CCP form the basis of nine rhetorical charges that Gaffney lays out in the book he co-authored with Dede Laugesen called “The Indictment: Prosecuting the Chinese Communist Party & Friends for Crimes against America, China, and the World.”
Gaffney said these efforts at subversion are part of what China calls “unrestricted warfare.”
Gaffney said the different charges against the Chinese regime will give readers “a pretty strong picture of what we call the war crimes that have been conducted against this country, again, by the CCP itself, and by its friends inside our country.”
The first charge Gaffney lays out against the regime in his book details human rights abuses throughout Chinese society, including tens of millions killed and “as many as 500 million babies killed in the womb” over the course of the 20th century in China.
“The reason we think this is the first crime that needs to be indicted is that this is what they have in mind doing to the rest of us, if they can get their hands on us,” Gaffney said. “So that sort of sets the stage for what they are doing to try to get their hands on us.”