Housekeepers at a Vermont hotel who ate some candy left behind by a guest got a much different experience than just tasty sweetness.
As it turned out, the candy was infused with marijuana—tasty psychedelic treats for people who knew what to expect, but pretty scary for the two workers from the Shelburn, Vermont hotel.
The powerful drug-infused candy left one worker so ill, she collapsed in the hotel driveway. Both workers had to be transported to a local hospital.
“They certainly weren’t in any shape to work,” Shelburne police officer Joshua Flore told the Burlington Free Press.
The two housekeepers were employed at Inn at Shelburne Farms. They were not identified, though the Inn did release a statement.
Two employees at the Inn at Shelburne Farms ate some candy left by two guests and became sick. Police say the candies were actually marijuana edibles. https://t.co/dU1pspPDdW
— BurlingtonFreePress (@bfp_news) June 13, 2018
“Two employees at the Inn at Shelburne Farms fell ill this morning after ingesting something that came from outside of Shelburne Farms,” the statement read, according to the Burlington Free Press.
“They have been taken to the hospital and we hope they will make a full recovery soon. We are doing our best to be careful about protecting the privacy of our employees.”
It seems the drug-infused candy was in a box labeled “salted caramel chocolates.” Each piece looked like a common malted milk ball.
Apparently, the marijuana candy had been taken out of its packaging and put in a box of normal candy. “It had held chocolates prior,” Officer Flore explained.
The police were summoned to the Inn around 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday.
The people who had spent the night in the room were not charged. They had checked out of the hotel earlier that morning.
Shelburne police believe that hotel guests brought the candy from another state. Marijuana is legal in neighboring Massachusetts and decriminalized in New Hampshire.
Marijuana will be legalized in Vermont starting on July 1.
Officer Fiore says that this incident is a useful warning. People in Vermont will need to think differently once the drug is legal for recreational use.
“The last thing we want is for kids or pets or an unintended party to start popping chocolates that aren’t necessarily chocolate,” said officer Flore. “I think that’s the big lesson here.”
Business is War