Iranian President Releases Open Letter to Americans About War

'Continuing along the path of confrontation is more costly and futile than ever before,' Masoud Pezeshkian posted in English on X.
Published: 4/1/2026, 7:45:38 PM EDT
Iranian President Releases Open Letter to Americans About War
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian speaks during the army parade commemorating National Army Day in front of the shrine of the late revolutionary founder Ayatollah Khomeini, just outside Tehran, Iran, on April 18, 2025. (Vahid Salemi/AP)

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Wednesday released an open letter saying confrontation is "costly and futile" as the month-long war between Iran and the United States continues.

“Today, the world stands at crossroads. Continuing along the path of confrontation is more costly and futile than ever before. The choice between confrontation and engagement is both real and consequential; its outcome will shape the future for generations to come," Pezeshkian said in a letter he posted in English on his X account.

In the letter, he did not make reference to President Donald Trump's message on Wednesday morning that Iran's president had said he wanted a cease-fire to end the war.

Trump wrote in a Truth Social post: "We will consider when Hormuz Strait is open, free, and clear. Until then, we are blasting Iran into oblivion or, as they say, back to the Stone Ages!!!"

Starting last week, the Trump administration has said U.S. officials are in talks with members of the Iranian regime, including Pezeshkian and Iran's parliamentary speaker, Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf. Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Ministry officials have denied that direct negotiations are occurring.

Also in his letter, Pezeshkian questioned whether the conflict serves the interests of Americans and alleged that the U.S. military has acted as a proxy on behalf of Israel.

“Exactly which of the American people’s interests are truly being served by this war? Was there any objective threat from Iran to justify such behavior?” he asked.

Before the conflict started on Feb. 28, Washington and Tehran were involved in negotiations over Iran's nuclear program. U.S. and Israeli officials have long believed Iran was attempting to enrich uranium to weapons-grade potential to produce nuclear missiles that would threaten other countries, which Iran has denied.

Trump said last month that the terrorism-backing Iranian regime could not be allowed to possess a nuclear weapon, and the White House on Wednesday said in a statement that the U.S. objectives are to "obliterate Iran’s missiles and production, annihilate its navy, sever its support for terrorist proxies, and ensure it never acquires a nuclear weapon."
The United Nations' nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, last year said it was not able to determine whether Tehran's nuclear program was for entirely peaceful purposes. It noted that Iran since 2019 has not complied with the UN agency's inspectors of its facilities and has not been able to explain whether its material was being diverted for further enrichment.
A Palestinian man climbs on the remnants of an Iranian missile that landed in the Israeli-occupied West Bank village of Hares on March 24, 2026. (Jaafar Ashtiyeh/AFP via Getty Images)
A Palestinian man climbs on the remnants of an Iranian missile that landed in the Israeli-occupied West Bank village of Hares on March 24, 2026. Jaafar Ashtiyeh/AFP via Getty Images

In response to the U.S.-Israeli strikes, Iran has launched numerous missiles and drones at neighboring countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, Turkey, and others, while saying it is attacking U.S. or Israeli assets in the region.

Iranian forces have also blocked commercial shipping traffic in the crucial Strait of Hormuz that carries roughly 20 percent of the world's oil, sending energy prices significantly higher.

This week, the governments of Qatar and the United Arab Emirates said that alleged Iranian projectiles struck civilian ships, including one operated by Qatar's state-owned QatarEnergy, on Wednesday. On Monday, a fire on board a fully loaded Kuwaiti crude oil tanker hit by Iran ‌at Dubai Port's anchorage had to be extinguished. Dubai authorities said the strike damaged the vessel's hull and raised concerns about a possible oil spill.

At 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Trump is expected to address the nation about the status of the U.S. military operation against the Iranian regime.

Reuters contributed to this report.