Japan’s Chief Cabinet Confirms Coronavirus Spread From China to Japan

NTD Newsroom
By NTD Newsroom
January 17, 2020Asia & Pacificshare

Japan confirmed a patient tested positive for the new China coronavirus that has killed two persons so far.

Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said in a statement released on Jan. 16, a man—in his 30s—had recently traveled to the Chinese city that’s thought to be the epicenter of the outbreak.

“It was confirmed yesterday that one person who had stayed in Wuhan city tested positive for the new coronavirus, and this is the first case in Japan,” Suga said.

“I heard this person has already been discharged…we will steadily implement quarantine and we will keep dealing with it in a thorough manner.”

The World Health Organization has said it could spread and has warned hospitals worldwide.

The new strain of coronavirus originated in Wuhan, the largest city in central China.

Thailand confirmed its first case of infection earlier this week Jan. 13.

The outbreak has cast a shadow over Lunar New Year celebrations and put the rest of Asia on alert.

Lorenz Duchamps contributed to this report.

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.
Comments