Kentucky Man and Two Children Found Dead in Garage

Zachary Stieber
By Zachary Stieber
November 30USshare
Kentucky Man and Two Children Found Dead in Garage
Police tape in a file photo. (Benjamin Chasteen/The Epoch Times)

A Kentucky man and his two children found dead in their garage in Louisville were likely killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said.

Investigators said that a preliminary investigation indicated that the man turned the car on to warm it up and that he, his 3-year-old son, and 8-year-old daughter were all killed by the deadly gas.

“This could happen very, very quickly, and it did, in this case,” Louisville Metro Police Department Lt. Emily McKinley told WLKY. “I know it’s the winter months and everyone wants a warm car to get into, but be cautious of the areas and make sure it’s a well-ventilated area, because horrible accidents happen like this, and they happen very quickly.”

A family member discovered the trio in the garage off Plaudit Way on Nov. 28 and called 911.

Juvenal Garcia Mora, 39, and Cruz Isaac Garcia, 3, were pronounced dead after arriving at the emergency room at the Medical Center Jewish Southwest.

Mayra Garcia, 8, was rushed to Norton Children’s Hospital but was pronounced dead on Nov. 29.

Autopsies were planned for all three family members. The official cause of death was pending.

Community members were working to gather funds for the Garcia family in the wake of the deaths. They told WLKY they’re aiming to raise $20,000.

“This area is not the wealthiest area in town, but we probably are the most giving,” said resident Ernie Pack. “As a community, Valley Station, we always pull together. No matter how small or large the need is.”

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is an odorless and colorless gas that is found in fumes produced when burning fuel in cars, trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces.

“CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as ‘flu-like.’ If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.”

 

carbon monoxide poisoning
An illustration showing ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

People typically have a carbon monoxide detector in their homes but not in their garages.

The best ways to avoid CO poisoning from vehicles include having a mechanic check the exhaust system of your car or truck every year since a small leak can lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide inside the car.

“Never run your car or truck inside a garage that is attached to a house even with the garage door open. Always open the door to a detached garage to let in fresh air when you run a car or truck inside,” added the CDC. “If you drive a car or SUV with a tailgate, when you open the tailgate, open the vents or windows to make sure air is moving through. If only the tailgate is open CO from the exhaust will be pulled into the car or SUV.”

Comments