Man Injured After Protesters Pull Down Confederate Monument

NTD Newsroom
By NTD Newsroom
June 11, 2020US News
Man Injured After Protesters Pull Down Confederate Monument
File photo showing police tape at night. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

One man was injured while protesters were in Portsmouth taking down the Confederate soldier monument on the night of Wednesday, June 10, according to multiple reports.

As indicated by 13 News Now, Chris Green, one of the individuals at the protest, was participating in the taking down of the confederate monument. Protesters were tearing the monument by defacing and cutting away at the statue.

While protesters were attacking the statue, the people present during the take-down were screaming “No Justice, No Peace,” while the statue was being torn bit by bit. However, when the protesters succeeded in taking the statue down, it fell on top of Green, who was critically injured.

According to the president of Black Lives Matter 757, which organized the protest, the statue hit Green in the head as it came down. He said that his skull was showing from underneath his skin, as indicated by an exchange that was posted on to Twitter.

“He was convulsing on the ground—and he lost a great amount of blood. We ask everybody to pray for that man right now,” the president said.

Medics arrived on scene and took Green to the Sentara Norfolk General Hospital on a stretcher on Wednesday night, and according to 13 News Now, he was put in a medically induced coma as doctors treated him on Thursday.

After Green was taken to the hospital, the police stepped in and secured the area with crime scene tape, according to 13 News Now. Following that, authorities told the rest of the protesters to leave the area.

The Mayor of Norfolk also issued a media release following the incident, stressing how important it is for people to be safe while protesting.

“While we welcome peaceful demonstrations at the monument at Commercial place, we want everyone to understand that the size of the monument, it stands at 80 feet, does not lend itself to safe removal without the use of a truck mounted construction crane,” the mayor wrote.

“Out of an abundance of caution, anyone who attempts to scale the monument will be removed in the interest of their own safety,” the release reads.

The mayor also addressed the incident involving Green, saying that the city will be praying for the man’s full recovery.

The mayor also asked for the public’s cooperation to make sure that this incident doesn’t occur again in other cities in the interest of people’s safety, according to the release.

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.