Man Who Killed 2 Ex-Girlfriends and New Boyfriend Gets 190-Year Term

The Associated Press
By The Associated Press
February 27, 2019US News
Man Who Killed 2 Ex-Girlfriends and New Boyfriend Gets 190-Year Term
Police line. (Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

NEWARK, N.J.—A man convicted of murdering two ex-girlfriends and the new boyfriend of one of them has been sentenced to 190 years in prison.

Jeffrey Holland was convicted in December of the murders and other counts including burglary, theft, desecration of human remains and other counts. He was sentenced on Feb. 26.

Essex County prosecutors say the 30-year-old East Orange man choked and drowned 21-year-old Tiniquah Rouse in January 2016.

They say that the next day, he kicked in the door of an apartment and shot 23-year-old Ashley Jones and 28-year-old Jararell Marshall.

Holland testified that Rouse’s death was an accident, and he denied having anything to do with the other slayings.

24-Year-Old Man Confesses to Killing His Girlfriend

Another man, who has not been convicted, walked into a police station and confessed to killing his girlfriend.

Connor Scott turned himself into Danville police department in Indiana on Feb. 24 and allegedly admitted to killing his then 20-year-old girlfriend Kaylyn Whitaker, who died under suspicious circumstances on Halloween night in 2014.

She was found shot dead at Scott’s home in Martinsville, Illinois. Illinois State Police originally believed it was a suicide but after 10 months of investigation, the death was ruled a homicide. No arrests had been made in more than four years, until yesterday.

Officers say that Scott walked into the police department at around 8:30 p.m., reported WTHR citing police. He was interviewed by the local police and Illinois State Police Investigators, and eventually, a taped confession from Scott relating to the murder was obtained.

He was taken to the Hendricks County Jail in preparation for extradition to Illinois. Details of the confession have not been released.

Illinois State Police told ABC News that an arrest warrant was issued for Scott on Feb. 25. First-degree murder charges are pending.

Family Waiting For Justice

Whitaker’s mother, Leslie Roberts, told during an interview in December last year that her family was upset and frustrated at why there had been no arrests over the last four years.

“We deserve closure, we deserve peace,” Roberts said at the time. “This is a homicide case. It has been since 2015 and nothing’s being done about it, and I am angry, very angry.”

The news website obtained a copy of Whitaker’s death certificate, which lists homicide as the manner of death. The person in charge of the case at the time, Illinois Appellate Prosecutor Ed Parkinson, said in a written review: “It is my opinion that Kaylyn could not have shot herself in the location where the bullet entered her skull. The amended finding as a cause of death as a homicide best fits the situation in this case.”

Parkinson also told the news website that Scott had, at the time, been cooperative in the investigations.

“I’m not calling him a suspect because we haven’t filed any charges. He was her fiancé, boyfriend, together at the time and they were together at the time of her death,” Parkinson said. “It is true, from what we can tell that she did die gunshot wound in the company of that person.”

While remembering her daughter, Roberts said, “She was a good girl, good person. Very kind, very loving.

“She loved her family, she loved her life … And to know that it was taken from her is hard to grasp,” she added.

Epoch Times reporter Janita Kan contributed to this article

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.