Man Who Shot and Killed Two Alleged Burglars Released From Jail

Zachary Stieber
By Zachary Stieber
June 5, 2019US News
share
Man Who Shot and Killed Two Alleged Burglars Released From Jail
Ronald Stolarczyk, 64, was released from jail on June 3, 2019, about a week after he shot and killed two people who allegedly broke into his Deerfield, New York home. (Oneida County District Attorney’s Office)

A New York man who was arrested and charged with criminal possession of a firearm after shooting and killing two people who broke into his house was released from jail, authorities said.

The Oneida County District Attorney’s Office let Ronald Stolarczyk, 64, out of jail on June 3 without needing to meet bail, reported the Rome Sentinel.

Stolarczyk appeared in court on Monday night on the criminal possession charge.

Police said that Stolarczyk, a Deerfield resident, found two burglars inside his house on May 29 and shot them after they refused to leave the home.

The burglars were identified as Patricia Anne Talerico, 57, and her nephew Nicholas Talerico, 27, both of Utica. Officials said that Nicholas Talerico had robbed Stolarczyk several weeks before the deadly confrontation.

“A large amount of property” believed to have been stolen from Stolarczyk’s home was found at Talerico’s apartment, Oneida County District Attorney Scott McNamara told Syracuse.com. He described Stolarczyk as a hoarder.

“He had a lot of stuff in his place, and we believe the Talericos knew that, and were under the mistaken impression that the home was vacant,” McNamara said.

Stolarczyk was not charged in connection to the deaths of the Talericos but because he used a gun he had inherited from his father that he had not registered, authorities said. His house was condemned after it was inspected recently after it was found to lack electricity and running water, among other issues.

man previously broke into house
Nicholas Talerico, 27, broke into a New York state home several weeks before being fatally shot when he broke into the house. (Oneida County District Attorney’s Office)
NTD Photo
Patricia Anne Talerico, 57, of Utica, in a file mugshot. (Oneida County District Attorney’s Office)

Stolarczyk’s attorney, Mark Wolber, told the Sentinel that his client was being provided temporary shelter and other benefits through Social Services.

“He is on his way to the Oneida County Department of Social Services,” Wolber said. “They will be trying to get him set up with living quarters, temporarily, and some public assistance.”

He said that his client had a leg infection that he got treated at the jail.

The bail was set at $10,000 but Stolarczyk ultimately did not need to meet it, Wolber added. The district attorney’s office is still probing the shootings. McNamara told Syracuse.com that forensics in the case will probably not be back for weeks but that preliminary findings “are consistent with the homeowner’s version of events.”

Wolber previously said that Stolarczyk heard the Talericos in his house. He shouted for them to leave but they instead moved towards him, prompting him to fire in fear for his life.

Wolber told WKTV that Stolarczyk was released on his own recognizance.

“Our efforts to get him in a safe place and to get some of his needs dealt with so he can have his medical needs treated, have proper diet have a place to stay until we can get his house in order,” Wolber said.

“He was released on his own recognizance and that is an indication to me that the District Attorney’s office realizes: this is not a dangerous person.”

Wolber has requested the charge be dropped; the next court date was set for August 5.

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.