Manchester United Star Marcos Rojo Flees Dominican Republic Hotel Where Two Tourists Died

Zachary Stieber
By Zachary Stieber
June 12, 2019Worldshare
Manchester United Star Marcos Rojo Flees Dominican Republic Hotel Where Two Tourists Died
Marcos Rojo of Argentina looks on during the 2018 FIFA World Cup game between France and Argentina in Kazan, Russia on June 30, 2018. (Photo by Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

A soccer star left a Dominican Republic hotel after it was revealed that two American tourists died there within the last year.

Marcos Rojo, a Manchester United star, was with his family at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana.

The 29-year-old had been sharing pictures on Instagram of the vacation but he and his family left after learning about the deaths following his return to the island after a two-day fishing trip, reported the Daily Mail.

“He is just being cautious. He doesn’t wish to take any chances,” a source told the Mail.

View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Marcos Rojo ⚽️ (@marcosrojo) on

View this post on Instagram

Cómo me enseñó mi viejo ????

A post shared by Marcos Rojo ⚽️ (@marcosrojo) on

The Sun also reported that Rojo left the hotel on June 11.

Two American men died at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, family members said.

Robert Bell Wallace, a 67-year-old California man, suddenly became sick after drinking a scotch in his room at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino resort in Punta Cana, his niece, Chloe Arnold, told Fox News.

Wallace was visiting the Dominican Republic for a family member’s wedding.

“He was fine,” Arnold said. “He and his wife arrived there at around midnight on April 10. On April 11 he had scotch from the minibar. He started feeling very sick, he had blood in his urine and stool right afterward.”

A hotel doctor cleared Arnold, then said on April 13 that he should be checked into a hospital. The man died the next day.

The family has not been told what caused Arnold’s death.

“We have so many questions,” she said. “We don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”

Groom Tommy Tickenoff said that Wallace missed the wedding and was dead the next day.

“We didn’t find out until the next morning that he had passed, which is another weird thing,” Tickenhoff told Fox 40. “My mom and brother had been in touch with the hospital and they didn’t reach out and tell us any answers until the next morning.”

A Maryland man, David Harrison, was at the same hotel in July 2018 when he suddenly became sick and soon died, his wife Dawn McCoy said.

Harrison went to sleep after getting sick; when he woke up, he was sweating profusely, McCoy told WTOP.

“He couldn’t sit up, and he was making noises that … you couldn’t make out. He was struggling quite a bit to get out of bed and to talk,” said McCoy. “I tried to communicate with him and all he could do was mumble.”

Her husband was soon pronounced dead. Harrison was cleared by a doctor before the trip. The official cause of death was pulmonary edema and a heart attack.

“I started seeing all these other people that were dying of the same exact causes, which made me start to second guess. I no longer feel like my husband died of natural causes,” McCoy said.

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.