Marcos Rojo, a Manchester United star, was with his family at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana.
The 29-year-old had been sharing pictures on Instagram of the vacation but he and his family left after learning about the deaths following his return to the island after a two-day fishing trip, reported the Daily Mail.
“He is just being cautious. He doesn’t wish to take any chances,” a source told the Mail.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
The Sun also reported that Rojo left the hotel on June 11.
Two American men died at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, family members said.
Robert Bell Wallace, a 67-year-old California man, suddenly became sick after drinking a scotch in his room at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino resort in Punta Cana, his niece, Chloe Arnold, told Fox News.
Wallace was visiting the Dominican Republic for a family member’s wedding.
“He was fine,” Arnold said. “He and his wife arrived there at around midnight on April 10. On April 11 he had scotch from the minibar. He started feeling very sick, he had blood in his urine and stool right afterward.”
JUST IN: US State Dept confirms a 4th American tourist death in the Dominican Republic.
— KRON4 News (@kron4news) June 10, 2019
A hotel doctor cleared Arnold, then said on April 13 that he should be checked into a hospital. The man died the next day.
The family has not been told what caused Arnold’s death.
“We have so many questions,” she said. “We don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”
Groom Tommy Tickenoff said that Wallace missed the wedding and was dead the next day.
“We didn’t find out until the next morning that he had passed, which is another weird thing,” Tickenhoff told Fox 40. “My mom and brother had been in touch with the hospital and they didn’t reach out and tell us any answers until the next morning.”
A Charles County woman whose husband died at a hotel in the Dominican Republic in 2018 is raising new concerns. https://t.co/dpfeJDDKHI
— WTOP (@WTOP) June 7, 2019
A Maryland man, David Harrison, was at the same hotel in July 2018 when he suddenly became sick and soon died, his wife Dawn McCoy said.
Harrison went to sleep after getting sick; when he woke up, he was sweating profusely, McCoy told WTOP.
“He couldn’t sit up, and he was making noises that … you couldn’t make out. He was struggling quite a bit to get out of bed and to talk,” said McCoy. “I tried to communicate with him and all he could do was mumble.”
Her husband was soon pronounced dead. Harrison was cleared by a doctor before the trip. The official cause of death was pulmonary edema and a heart attack.
“I started seeing all these other people that were dying of the same exact causes, which made me start to second guess. I no longer feel like my husband died of natural causes,” McCoy said.