Mother of 5 Shoots Ex-Boyfriend as He Breaks Into Her House: Police

Zachary Stieber
By Zachary Stieber
June 6, 2019USshare
Mother of 5 Shoots Ex-Boyfriend as He Breaks Into Her House: Police
File photo of a police car. (Pixabay/CC0)

An Ohio woman shot her ex-boyfriend after he tried breaking into her house, police officials said.

The woman, who has not been named, had a protection order against the man in addition to a concealed carry permit, officials told WLWT.

The woman was at her home in Cincinnati on June 6 around 4:30 a.m. when the former boyfriend, identified as Dante Ruff, removed an A/C unit in a window and tried entering the home. That’s when the woman, whose five children were in the house, shot him.

Officers found Ruff with multiple gunshot wounds and he was rushed to a nearby hospital to undergo emergency surgery. He was expected to survive.

Ruff has been violent with the woman before and faces a charge of aggravated burglary in addition to violation of a protection order.

“Thank goodness she had a Concealed Carry Permit and was able to defend herself and her 5 children,” Hamilton County Prosecutor Attorney Joseph Deters said.

“It is hard to imagine what might have happened to her or her children if she had not been able to protect herself and her family.”

Cincinnati Police Department Sgt. Andrew Fusselman said that the woman was on edge.

“She’s pretty on edge, but she’s calming down now that we’re talking to her a little bit more,” Fusselman told WCPO. “The investigator is on scene, they’re asking more detailed questions than we are.”

Deters said that the woman will not be charged, reported Fox 19. She was cooperating with the authorities.

Mother Holds Intruder at Gunpoint

A mother in Florida, meanwhile, held an intruder at gunpoint for 13 minutes until police arrived.

The situation began just after midnight when homeowner Lauren Richards said she saw a stranger come to her door. She called 911 at 12:41 a.m.

After hanging up, Richards was looking at her garage when she noticed her pet pig starting to sniff the air, sensing someone nearby.

“His nose immediately goes to the ground, he picks up a scent,” Richards told WFLA. “Which means the man has either been in my garage or is in my garage.”

Richards said she went to her garage, which is attached to the house, and saw that the garage door had been shut, prompting her to scream, open the garage door, and call 911 again. That call was placed at 12:54 a.m.

“I have a gun pointed and I need the police to show up immediately,” said Richards on the 911 call. “I called 10 minutes ago and nobody has shown up.”  The first law enforcement officer did not show up until 1:07 a.m.

A sheriff’s office spokesperson told Yahoo that the two 911 calls were merged after the second one.

“The two calls were merged by dispatch approximately 90 seconds later, at 12:56 a.m., and additional units, including Air, K9 and a Sgt., were dispatched,” the representative said.

“Given the priority of the second call, those units responded with lights and sirens, as opposed to the first unit, who was en route following normal traffic laws, given the fact that the suspect had left the area and the call had been subsequently downgraded.”

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.