Mother Shoots Man Who Flew Half Way Around World to See Her Daughter

Cathy He
By Cathy He
June 26, 2018USshare

NTD Photo

A woman shot a New Zealand man after he attempted to break into her Virginia home, police say.

Troy Skinner, 25, flew to the United States to see the woman’s teenage daughter after they met online through a messaging app, said Goochland County Sheriff Jim Agnew, reported WTVR.

The 14-year-old girl’s mother shot Skinner as he tried to force entry into the family home in Goochland County on the afternoon of June 22.

“He was not invited here, he was not expected here, he had been told in the past that the daughter no longer wished to communicate with him,” said Agnew.

According to WTVR, the mother and her two teenage daughters were at home when they first heard Skinner banging on a door.

The 25-year-old was at the rear basement door attempting to get in with a brick, said a police statement.

The mother grabbed her gun after calling her husband, and warned Skinner that she was armed and calling law enforcement.

Unsuccessful in entering through the basement door, Skinner tried another at the deck, throwing a landscape stone through a glass door.

As he reached through to unlatch the door, the mother shot twice, hitting Skinner once in the neck.

Skinner then fled the scene and collapsed on the neighbor’s front yard. He was taken to hospital after police arrived, and is expected to survive his injuries.

The New Zealand man first came in contact with the 14-year-old girl through Discord, a popular messaging app for gamers, said Agnew.

After around four months of online chatting, the girl attempted to end their contact. Her mother did not know about the pair’s communications.

Skinner flew from New Zealand to Washington D.C, via Australia and Los Angeles, and then took a bus to Richmond, a city 29 miles east of Goochland.

When he arrived at the home, Skinner reportedly yelled that he had hitchhiked 30 miles to get there and needed help.

Agnew said Skinner was found carrying a knife, duct tape, and pepper spray, all of which he had bought from a local Walmart, reported the outlet.

“This was not random, not spontaneous, this was something very planned,” he said.

Skinner’s friend told the news station that he thought the 25-year-old was traveling to the United States so that he could visit some friends on the west coast before returning home to pursue law studies at the University of Auckland.

“The original plan was for him to meet up with some American friends in Portland, Oregon,” Skinner’s friend said.

“He arrived in Los Angeles and was going to take a bus up I believe and the American friends were going to pick him up.  When he didn’t show up they googled his name and found the news report basically saying that he was in Virginia.”

The friend, who did not want to be identified, said what had happened was “out of character.”

“I’m so bewildered by what happened I can’t, I don’t know what was going through his head that was so outrageous,” he said. “He’s got no history of drugs, no criminal record. [He] may be a little aggressive but nothing really crazy.”

The investigation is ongoing and police have yet to charge Skinner.

Watch Next:

Fancy Footwork Saves Life of Armed Suspect

If Bill had not intervened at that precise moment to bring down the suspect, police say the suspect could have been killed.

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.