PLEASANT GROVE, Utah—Police say a “freak accident” at a northern Utah pool sickened dozens with chlorine gas on June 4.
About 50 people were sick after a pump forced too much chlorine out of a jet at Pleasant Grove Veterans Memorial Pool about 36 miles south of Salt Lake City.
Pleasant Grove Police Capt. Britt Smith said people were coughing, vomiting and bleeding from their noses.
FREAK ACCIDENT: People were coughing, vomiting and bleeding from their noses, and there were some reports of children going in and out of consciousness https://t.co/Fl9NDfBmXL
— ABC7 Eyewitness News (@ABC7) June 5, 2019
He said police don’t believe any of the injuries are life-threatening.
American Fork Hospital emergency room doctor Nathan Miller told KSL-TV that he treated patients who inhaled the gas and some could have chronic respiratory issues.
Pleasant Grove Police Capt. Britt Smith said people were coughing, vomiting and bleeding from their noses. https://t.co/0FwHaBYOdS
— NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt (@NBCNightlyNews) June 5, 2019
Ambulances took about 26 people to hospitals and about two dozen others sought treatment themselves.
Doctors at one hospital said 15 children and an adult were being treated.