Southern Chinese City Reports CCP Virus Outbreaks Despite Vaccination Drive

Southern China’s Guangzhou city announced more COVID-19 infections on June 7 even after over 60 percent of residents were vaccinated, with over 85 percent of residents tested over the past few days.

On June 6, the city’s authorities ordered residents to stay in the city, with people who live in locked-down areas not allowed to leave their homes. On June 4, the regime announced that it would use drones and self-driving cars to deliver materials to these locked-down regions.

Guangzhou city first reported the new outbreak on May 21, and said the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus, commonly known as the novel coronavirus, that caused the outbreak is the Indian variant.

“The Indian variant spreads very quickly. The incubation period is between two to four days. And the viral load [of each COVID-19 patient] is large,” said Zhang Zhoubin, deputy director of the Guangzhou CDC at a May 31 press conference.

Chinese CDC Director George Fu Gao said at a meeting hosted by the Chinese Academy of Sciences on May 30: “People are still infected after being vaccinated … The novel coronavirus outbreak is more and more like influenza. People might need to be vaccinated every year.”

Guangzhou has a population of 18.68 million. City authorities announced on May 24 that 7.45 million people were vaccinated by May 23 and over 500,000 people received vaccines every day. By the end of May, over 60 percent of Guangzhou’s residents had been vaccinated.

The vaccines that Guangzhou city uses are the China-made CoronaVac from Sinovac and Vero Cell from Sinopharm.

NTD Photo
A medical officer prepares a dose of China’s Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine during a mass vaccination program in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, on March 2, 2021. (Ulet Ifansasti/Getty Images)

Tightened Control

The Guangzhou city authorities announced that they would lock down four more regions in the city on June 6, which made the total locked-down regions number 42.

On Sunday, the regime banned all cars from neighboring cities from entering the city, and stopped all public transportation, which includes bus, subway, ferry, and railway, in the Nansha district of the city.

Since the outbreak spread to Foshan, a city bordering Guangzhou on the east side, Foshan authorities also asked residents to stay in the city on June 6.

To support the worsening outbreak, the Guangdong provincial authorities arranged 5,600 medical staff from seven other cities to go to Guangzhou on June 5. Guangzhou announced that it had collected swab samples for COVID-19 tests from over 16 million residents by Saturday.

Guangzhou Daily reported on June 4 that the regime was testing drones that day, and planned to use them to deliver materials to the high-risk regions.

By June 4, at least 12 hospitals in Guangzhou announced part or all of the hospital had closed, according to China portal NetEase.

From The Epoch Times