Suspect Sought by Police Killed After Shooting Multiple US Marshalls in New York City

A shooting between multiple U.S. Marshalls and two gunmen in a Bronx area in New York City early on Friday left at least two officials wounded and one of the shooters killed, according to authorities.

The suspect who was killed in the shootout has been identified by a law enforcement official as 35-year-old Andre Sterling, The Associated Press reported.

Sterling was wanted by police after he allegedly shot a state trooper in Massachusetts on Nov. 20 while he was conducting a traffic stop on Camp Street in Hyannis—a village on the state’s Cape Cod peninsula.

Police said Sterling was fatally shot and pronounced dead at the scene, while the second gunman was reportedly taken to Jacobi Hospital for treatment, ABC7 reported.

It has been confirmed both wounded officers have been hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries from the 5:30 a.m. confrontation, according to AP. The identifies of the two officers was not provided.

A PIX11 reporter shared a video on Twitter while he was waiting for a press briefing outside the hospital where the two U.S. Marshalls were taken. The reporter said officers were holding a prayer vigil for their colleagues.

Police said one of the Marshalls was shot in the elbow and thigh, while the other official was struck in the leg.

Sterling was wanted for allegedly shooting a 28-year-old trooper, John Lennon, in his right hand during a Nov. 20 traffic stop.

The bullet went through the trooper’s hand and hit his bulletproof vest around the height of his shoulder, officials said. He was released from the hospital the next day and put on injured leave as he further recovered from his wounds.

After the Nov. 20 incident, Sterling was sought by police on multiple charges that include armed assault with intent to murder, possession of a firearm, assault and battery, larceny of a motor vehicle, and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle with full extradition authorised.

In addition to the above charges, the suspect also had two additional warrants in Massachusetts for identity fraud, assault and battery on a police officer, and failing to stop for police when asked.

After the late November shooting in Massachusetts, Colonel Christopher Mason, the police superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police said in a statement the incident reminds the police force again of the dangers that are present in the job.

“Last night once again reminds us of the inherent danger that is present any time a police officer walks up to a motor vehicle or a suspect, and of the commitment to public service demonstrated by Troopers and police officers who accept this risk to protect our communities from violent criminals,” Mason said.

“What happened last night also underscores the willingness of criminals to arm themselves and commit violent acts in the blink of an eye to avoid investigation or apprehension,” he continued.