Teen Faces 9 Attempted Murder Counts in ‘Senseless’ Shooting at High School Football Game

NTD Newsroom
By NTD Newsroom
August 31, 2019US News
share
Teen Faces 9 Attempted Murder Counts in ‘Senseless’ Shooting at High School Football Game
An ambulance heads out to another mission (Kena Betancur/Getty Images)

Deangelo Parnell, a 17-year-old has been arrested and charged with nine attempted murder counts.

Parnell turned himself in. He was identified by Mobile Police as the suspect involved in a shooting where 10 teenagers were injured at a high school football game in Mobile, Alabama, on Aug. 30, reported Fox 11.

Mobile Police Chief Lawrence Battiste said that the victims were all aged between 15 and 18.

“This is a cowardly act by an individual who didn’t know how to deal with a situation,” said Battiste, reported WKRG.

The shooting stemmed from a fight where 9 people were injured with gunshot wounds. Six of them had been released from the hospital on the morning of Aug. 31, said Battiste, adding that none of the injuries were life-threatening.

“Everybody plays a role. Those people that know this type of behavior is about to occur have a responsibility to do something about it,” Battiste said. “We all need to do a better job to prevent these types of incidents …we need people to step forward. We need everybody to step up and do their part.”

Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson gave thanks to the police and emergency staff for their work.

Stimpson said in a statement: “As a community, we will heal. As a community, we have to get the guns out of the hands of our youth.”

Mobile County Public Schools Superintendent Chresal Threadgill wrote on Twitter:

“All of our hearts in Mobile County Public Schools go out to the families of the students involved in last night’s shooting at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. Even though we do not know all of the details surrounding the situation yet, or understand why this happened, we are pulling together as a community to move forward. To our Mobile County Public Schools families, I want to assure you that student safety is our first priority and ultimate concern above all others. Therefore as Superintendent, I promise that we will be working around the clock and with the City of Mobile to ensure that preventative measures are in place to keep anything like this from happening again. ”

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.