US

North Carolina Teen Arrested in California, Charged With Murdering 5-Year-Old

By Wire Service Content

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (WGHP)—A North Carolina teenager was arrested in California for allegedly murdering a 5-year-old boy, according to Winston-Salem police.

On July 6, 5-year-old Alberto Rios Navarrette was playing in his family’s apartment in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, when a stray bullet came through and hit him.

The boy died from his injury.

U.S. Marshals arrested Santiago Rodriguez-Marcial, 17, on a murder charge on Sept. 5 in southern California, more than 2,000 miles from where the alleged murder took place. He is being held in a San Diego Detention Facility before extradition.

Officers previously arrested Oscar Rodriguez Mendez, 17, and two juveniles in connection with the child’s death.

The new arrest comes just a week after officers canvased the community looking for information on Aug. 29.

16-year-old Accused of Murdering Newborn

In a similar story earlier this year, a 16-year-old Michigan girl is accused of killing her baby girl by slashing the newborn’s neck.

Sources tell 7 Action News that the teen then tried to cover up the killing by putting her baby’s body in her bedroom closet.

A hole in the ceiling is visible in a bedroom closet inside the home of shooting
A bedroom closet. (Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

So far, the teen has not been charged with any crime, but Detroit Police said they have submitted a warrant request to prosecutors.

Details are now emerging in the disturbing case that unraveled in February when the teen’s own mother rushed her to the hospital when she passed out.

The teen’s mother reportedly thought she was having menstrual problems, but then doctors told her that her daughter had given birth to a baby.

Sources said the teen denied giving birth. But when the teen’s mother returned home to look around, we’re told she found the newborn baby girl dead in a closet.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner said the infant died from multiple cuts to her neck and her death has been ruled a homicide.

Sources tell 7 Action News that the teenager’s mother did not know she was pregnant.

A spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office said they have received the warrant request from Detroit Police and it’s still being reviewed by their Juvenile and Special Victims Unit.