The Latest: 2 Dead After Typhoon Slams Into Southern China

The Associated Press
By The Associated Press
September 16, 2018World News
share

HONG KONG—The Latest on Typhoon Mangkhut (all times local):

10:25 p.m.

A Chinese state broadcaster says Typhoon Mangkhut has left at least two people dead after the massive storm slammed into southern China’s Guangdong province.

China Central Television also says the typhoon has triggered storm surges as high as 3 meters (10 feet).

Fifteen people were injured in the nearby gambling enclave of Macau, which closed casinos for the first time. The Hong Kong Observatory warned people to stay away from the Victoria Harbour landmark, where storm surges battered the sandbag-reinforced waterfront.

More than 2.4 million people had been evacuated in Guangdong by Sept.16 evening to flee the typhoon, according to state media.

The typhoon battered southern China after first battering the northern Philippines, where at least 64 people were killed.

8:45 p.m.

Philippine police say the death toll from Typhoon Mangkhut has climbed to 64.

The national police also say 45 other people are missing and 33 were injured in the massive storm, which battered the northern Philippines on Sept.15.

The hardest-hit province was Benguet, where 38 people died, mostly in two landslides, and 37 remain missing.

After blowing past the Philippines, the typhoon lashed Hong Kong and other parts of southern China on Sept.16.

7:15 p.m.

Chinese state media say more than 2.45 million people have been relocated in southern China’s Guangdong province to flee Typhoon Mangkhut.

State media also cited the Guangdong provincial meteorological station as saying that by Sept.16 evening, nearly 50,000 fishing boats had been called back to port.

The official Xinhua News Agency says groceries flew off the shelves of supermarkets in the provincial capital of Guangzhou as residents stocked up in preparation for being confined at home by the typhoon.

The massive storm left dozens dead from landslides and drownings as it sliced through the northern Philippines on Sept.15.

Tape on glass preparing Typhoon Mangkhut
A food store is taped in preparation for approaching typhoon Mangkhut in Hong Kong. Typhoon Mangkhut slammed into the Philippines’ northeastern coast early Sept. 15, 2018 and after the Philippines, the Hong Kong Observatory predicts Mangkhut will aim at the Chinese mainland south of Hong Kong and north of the island province of Hainan. (By Vincent Yu/AP Photo)

 

6 p.m.

A Philippine police officer says at least 40 people, mostly gold miners, are feared to have been trapped in a landslide in the country’s north and seven bodies have been dug out by rescuers.

Police Superintendent Pelita Tacio tells The Associated Press that a part of a mountain slope collapsed on the miners’ bunkhouses in a far-flung village of Itogon town in Benguet province as Typhoon Mangkhut’s ferocious winds and rain pounded the gold-mining region on Sept.15.

Tacio, who was at the scene of the landslide earlier Sept.16, says rescuers found another man but could not immediately pluck his body, which was pinned by rocks and mud.

Philippines Asia Typhoon Landslide
Residents and relatives of miners in Itogon township, Benguet province in the northern Philippines wait as a worker cuts a toppled tree with a chainsaw as they evacuate following landslides triggered by Typhoon Mangkhut burying an unknown number of miners and isolating the township. Typhoon Mangkhut barreled into southern China on Sept. 16, 2018, after lashing the northern Philippines with strong winds and heavy rain that left more than dozens dead from landslides and drownings. (By Jayjay Landingin/AP Photo)

5:20 p.m.

Typhoon Mangkhut has made landfall in southern China’s Guangdong province, bringing torrential rains and winds of 162 kilometers per hour (100 miles per hour).

The typhoon barreled into the southern Chinese city of Taishan at 5 p.m. Sept.16.

In preparation for the storm, southern China evacuated hundreds of thousands of people, suspended high-speed rail services and canceled classes.

The massive storm left at least 28 people dead from landslides and drownings as it sliced through the northern Philippines on Sept.15.

12:40 p.m.

Hong Kong and southern China hunkered down under red alert as strong winds and heavy rain from Typhoon Mangkhut lash the densely populated coast.

The biggest storm this year left at least 28 dead from landslides and drownings as it sliced through the northern Philippines on Sept.15.

Nearly half a million people were evacuated from seven cities in Guangdong province, the gambling enclave of Macau closed down casinos for the first time and the Hong Kong Observatory told people to stay away from the Victoria Harbour, where storm surges battered the waterfront reinforced with sandbags. Mangkhut is due to make landfall in Guangdong later Sept.16.

The national meteorological center says southern China “will face a severe test caused by wind and rain” and urged officials to prepare for possible disasters.

 

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.