Tucson Man Killed in Terrorist Attack at Kenya Military Base

Three Americans were killed during an attack on a Kenyan military base on Jan. 5, one of which was man from a Tucson, Arizona, according to multiple reports.

As reported by KOLD 13, Dustin Harrison was killed when al-Shabab extremists forced their way into a Kenyan military base that was used by the U.S. counter terror forces. During the attack, several U.S. aircraft and vehicles were destroyed.

According to the news outlet, Harrison was a pilot working as a contractor for the Department of Defense.

Spc. Henry Mayfield Jr., who was a 23-year-old resident from Chicago, also died during the attack.

A second contractor was among the decreased, but he was not identified.

Five of the attackers were also killed during the incident.

Hope Harrison, Dustin Harrison’s wife, confirmed the death of her husband on Monday, asking for privacy. She told KOLD 13 that she will be meeting with a coworker to learn more about the incident.

She also said that she and her daughter will be flying to an Air Force base in order to bring back Harrison’s body.

In a Facebook post, Hope Harrison wrote about her husband’s death.

“Received the heart wrenching call this evening that my beautiful husband was one of the casualties from the terrorist that took place early this morning. My world is completely a nightmare at the moment. My worst fear is now my reality. The pain is unbearable. Please keep myself and our family in your prayers,” she wrote.

She added on Tuesday that her husband has been returned to the United States, writing: “My husband’s remains were returned to U.S. soil at 2:45 a.m. It was the most dignified, honorable, and heart crushing transfer. We blew you kisses babe. My beautiful angel, my beloved husband… I’m so lost without you.”

According to The Associated Press, al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack.

The attack “involved indirect and small arms fire. After an initial penetration of the perimeter, Kenya Defense Forces and U.S. Africa Command repelled the al-Shabab attack,” according to a statement issued by the U.S. Africa Command.

The 10-hour attack resulted in the death of 17 American and nine Kenyan soldiers, the statement said. Seven aircraft were also destroyed.