US Boycott of Beijing Olympics Still Stands

NTD Newsroom
By NTD Newsroom
December 28, 2021China in Focusshare

Chinese state media the Global Times is calling the United States “double-faced” after reports that China received U.S. government visa applications to attend the Beijing Olympics.

The U.S. State Department soon released a statement clarifying the situation. It said that the United States’ diplomatic boycott of the Winter Games still stands, and it won’t change its decision.

The department explained that the visa applications were for consular and security personnel. They said it was routine to provide athletes with access to certain services.

The White House announced the boycott earlier this month. They cited the Chinese Communist Party’s “crimes against humanity in Xinjiang, and other human rights abuses.” Other countries have since joined the boycott—including Australia, Canada, the UK, New Zealand, and Lithuania.

China in Focus Weekly Newsletter
Find out what's really going on in China
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.
Comments