‘We Have Been Throwing up for 8 Hours:’ Says Email From Couple Who Died in Fiji

Bill Pan
By Bill Pan
June 7, 2019US News
‘We Have Been Throwing up for 8 Hours:’ Says Email From Couple Who Died in Fiji
Empty hammock in the shade of palm trees on tropical Fiji Islands. (Martin Valigursky/Shutterstock)

Relatives have revealed that a young Texan couple who died from an unidentified illness while on vacation in Fiji sent a number of unsettling emails concerning their deteriorating health before their deaths.

According to Fiji’s FBC News, David and Michelle Paul were on the trip of a lifetime, halfway around the world in Fiji, when they were reported dead just days after arriving on May 22.

Relatives told ABC News that the couple had sent them emails about several symptoms they have experienced since arriving on the South Pacific island, including repeated violent vomiting.

“We are both going to doctor now,” 35-year-old Michelle wrote to her mother, Juliet Calanog, shortly after their arrival in Fiji. “We have been throwing up for 8 hours. Dave has diarrhea. My hands are numb. We will text when we can.”

Upon returning to their hotel, Michelle wrote another email to her mother.

“We just got back from the clinic. They gave us fluids and anti-nausea drip,” she said. “They gave us electrolyte packets and anti-nausea pills. We still don’t feel 100%. Going to rest in our room.”

Michelle’s mother responded, telling her to drink lots of fluids and get some rest. Despite receiving medical care, Michelle’s health condition continued to worsen and she died on May 25 at a hospital in the city of Nadi. David died two days after his wife.

Fiji’s Ministry of Health declared that officials have been investigating the cause of death, after ruling out the flu.

“Influenza has been ruled out, and at this stage, we do not believe there is a risk to the public,” the ministry said in a statement. “It would be premature to speculate further on the cause of death until the investigation is complete.”

As a part of the disease controlling effort, a small number of people, including people who came into close contact with the couple, have since been quarantined. They are all “currently well,” the ministry said.

Tracey Calanog, Michelle’s sister-in-law, told WFAA that the two were “very physically fit,” saying that Michelle was a former student-athlete and David a U.S. Air Force veteran. “They were planning an amazing vacation,” she added “They always wanted to explore.”

According to Michelle’s father, Marc Calanog, the couple were raising their 2-year-old son in Fort Worth, Texas, reported People magazine.

“I don’t even know how to say it to Ayden because [he] is 2 years old,” Marc told the magazine. “Once I have it all more clear, I guess I’m going to start talking to a priest and ask him for help to see how I can tell this to Ayden.”

Marc said the responsibility of providing for the boy now fell on him and his wife.

“Overall, we will recover,” Marc added. “There’s no question because our focus now is on what to do with Ayden. We cannot be depressed and [not] have a clear mind because we have to handle this responsibility.”

The Epoch Times Reporter Jack Philips contributed to this report.

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.