US

Woman Loses Clumps of Hair After Using Conditioner Product, Thinks It Was Tampered With

By Mimi Nguyen Ly

A Wisconsin woman unexpectedly lost clumps of her hair after using a conditioner product purchased from a local Walmart. She and her mother wrote on social media that they believe the conditioner was tampered with a hair-removal product prior to purchase.

Ashley Rose, of New Richmond, Wisconsin, had bought Pantene Pro-V Sheer Volume Conditioner and within days before she found clumps of her hair falling out.

“Attention New Richmond Wisconsin Walmart shoppers be aware of shampoo and conditioner you buy there as my daughter Ashley Rose bought some 2 days ago and someone mixed Nair in her conditioner bottle!” Rose’s mother, Taffy Jo Timm, wrote in a Facebook post on July 29.

Nair is a popular hair-removal product. It is unclear whether Nair or another product was allegedly mixed into the conditioner.

“As I speak she is losing hair and crying!” Timm added.

Timm noted that the Pantene conditioner product is typically white in color, but the one Rose used was “ugly pink in color.”

Police and detectives are reviewing surveillance footage, according to Timm.

It is unclear whether Rose was aware of the color the Pantene conditioner product should have had when she used the bottle for the first time.

In a Facebook post, Rose recounted the events leading up to seeing her hair stuck onto the shower walls, describing the whole situation as “very, very traumatic.”

After having used the conditioner, “something was different and didn’t smell the greatest,” so Rose decided to blow dry her hair, but afterward it “smelt terrible” so she decided to return to the shower to use another shampoo.

As she ran her hands out of her hair, “it was covered in hair and just kept on falling out.”

The experience culminated in a trip to the ER, she wrote.

In a comment under the post, Rose wrote that she believes a person had tampered with the product while it was sitting on the shelf.

“I think someone took it off the shelf and did something to it. But can’t say for sure,” she wrote.

I have to share bc tonight has been very, very traumatic for me. You don’t think to check your shampoo or conditioner…

Ashley Rose Robinson စာစုတင်ရာတွင် အသုံးပြုမှု ၂၀၁၉၊ ဇူလိုင် ၂၈၊ တနင်္ဂနွေနေ့

Rose also posted photos of the bald spots she suffered afterward and shared that she was hurt.

“As I type this I’m crying bc that’s all I have done since this incident. This is raw and has hit me like no other,” she wrote.

“My heart hurts terribly I don’t even have any words to say to anyone as I just can’t get anything out but that it hurts and has been scary,” she added.

She wrote that since using the product, her hair was falling out through the night and morning before she finally shaved it.

Rose stressed that although the photos are personal, they “apparently needs to get out there,” adding that she wanted to share the photos to try to prevent such a situation from happening to anyone else.

“Check your bottles where ever you get them, nothing can be trusted anymore,” Rose said.

“Picture[s] do not do it justice or show the 100% damage it has caused me,” she wrote.

Since then, Rose has had her hair shaved by her uncle, Timm wrote.

A spokeswoman for Walmart said the company is investigating the incident and is cooperating with police to review surveillance footage, according to Fox affiliate KTVU.