Zac Efron: ‘I Bounced Back’ From Illness in Papua New Guinea

By The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES—Zac Efron said he has has “bounced back” after an illness while filming a show in Papua New Guinea.

On his Twitter and Instagram accounts Sunday, the 32-year-old “High School Musical” actor addressed recent media reports that he had been rushed to the hospital in a serious emergency while filming his new reality adventure series, “Killing Zac Efron.”

“Very thankful to everyone who has reached out. I did get sick in Papua New Guinea, but I bounced back quick and finished an amazing 3 weeks in P.N.G,” Efron said along with a picture of himself smiling and waving amid a group of local children.

He gave no details on what the sickness had been or what treatment he underwent.

“I’m home for the holidays with my friends and family,” Efron said. “Thanks for all the love and concern, see you in 2020!”

Zac Efron attends Netflix’s “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile” Tribeca Film Festival Premiere at BMCC Tribeca Performing Arts Center in New York City on May 02, 2019. (Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images for Netflix)

CNN has reached out to Efron’s representatives for comment.

“Killing Zac Efron” is billed as an expedition series that will see the screen star venture “deep into the jungles of a remote, dangerous island” for 21 days with nothing but basic gear and a local guide.

Efron said the series, which was commissioned by Quibi—a new streaming platform scheduled to launch in April—would challenge him.

“I tend to thrive under extreme circumstances and seek out opportunities that challenge me on every level,” Efron told Variety in November. “I am excited to explore any uncharted territory and discover what unexpected adventure awaits!”

CNN Wire contributed to this report.