You will love this incredibly delicious and moist carrot cake with nutrients and flavor! This cake is easy to make and showcases turmeric root and ginger. It packs in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and omega 3 and 6 fats from the vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds it contains.
Learn more about Taking Cancer on Through Flavour initiative by Boehringer Ingelheim.
Serving size: 9 Slices
For the cake:
• 3 cups carrot
• ¼ cup fresh ginger root, finely grated
• 2 tbsps. fresh turmeric root, finely grated
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tsps. baking soda
• 2 tsps. baking powder
• 2 tsps. ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 ½ cup pitted dates, packed
• ½ cup + 3 tablespoons water, divided
• 2 tbsps. ground flax seed
• 2 large eggs
• ¾ cup olive oil
• ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
• 2 tsps. Vanilla
For the frosting:
• 8 oz. cream cheese (low fat), chilled
• ¼ cup butter, at room temperature
• ¼ cup honey
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1 tsp. lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
• ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease an 8” cake pan and set aside.
2. Shred the carrots.
3. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until combined.
4. Place ½ cup water and dates in a blender and puree until smooth.
5. In a small bowl, combine ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons of water. Let sit for 1-2 minutes until it thickens.
6. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, oil, unsweetened applesauce and vanilla. Add the date mixture and flax seed mixture.
7. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir to combine.
8. Fold in carrots, ginger and turmeric.
9. Pour into a greased pan and place in the oven. Bake for about 1 hour until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10. While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting. Whip cream cheese until soft. Add butter and blend. Add honey, vanilla and lemon zest. Whip until smooth and creamy.
11. Spread the frosting on the cake. Garnish with chopped walnuts, if desired.