Loaded with nutrient-dense foods, this zesty super summer salad is packed with fiber and plant-based protein. It is a hearty salad loaded with good-for-you-ingredients, zesty dressing, and bursting with fresh summer flavor. Artichokes are low in fat while rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Learn more about Taking Cancer on Through Flavour initiative by Boehringer Ingelheim.
Serving size: 6
• 7 oz (200g) Artichoke Hearts
• 1/4 cup Finely Chopped Red Onion
• 1/2 cup Quinoa
• 1 Large Bunch Kale Leaves
• 1 cup Fresh Raspberry
• 1 can Chickpeas
• 1/2 cup Toasted Walnut
• 1 tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 tbsp. Finely Minced Garlic
• 2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
• 1 tbsp. Honey
• 1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
• 1/8 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
• 3/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
• 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1. Prepare the artichoke hearts. You can use fresh artichokes or get canned artichoke hearts for easier preparation.
For fresh artichokes: peel off the leaves from around the fresh artichokes. Rinse the artichoke hearts under cold water and pat dry. Cut the hearts into quarters and squeeze lemon juice all over them to help control discoloration. Steam them for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
2. Finely chop red onion.
3. Combine the rinsed quinoa and water in a saucepan.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 10 to 20 minutes.
5. Remove the pot from heat, cover, and let the quinoa steam for 5 minutes.
6. Add kale leaves in a salad bowl and add olive oil.
7. Massage the leaves with hands by lightly scrunching big handfuls at a time, until the leaves are darker in color.
8. Add artichoke hearts, cooked quinoa, chickpeas, red onion, walnut, and raspberry.
9. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar and mix well.
Tip: This could also be served with an animal source of protein such as a piece of chicken, salmon or trout, egg or cheese.