Federal Prosecutor Says ‘Investigation Is Ongoing’ After Securing Hunter Biden Guilty Plea

Ryan Morgan
By Ryan Morgan
June 20, 2023Hunter Biden
share
Federal Prosecutor Says ‘Investigation Is Ongoing’ After Securing Hunter Biden Guilty Plea
Hunter Biden, son of President Joe Biden, attends the ceremony for the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, during a ceremony honoring 17 recipients, in the East Room of the White House on July 7, 2022. (Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images)

David C. Weiss, the U.S. Attorney for Delaware who handled a long-running tax investigation into Hunter Biden, said that investigation is ongoing even after the president’s son agreed to a plea deal.

Weiss notified the U.S. District Court for Delaware that Hunter Biden intended to plead guilty to two misdemeanor counts for willful failure to pay his taxes. Weiss said Hunter Biden also agreed to enter a pretrial diversion agreement for obtaining a firearm at a time that he was actively using or addicted to a controlled substance, which is illegal.

The tax charges each carry a maximum penalty of 12 months in prison. The firearm charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison but the pretrial diversion agreement could allow him to avoid a criminal conviction and a related criminal punishment.

In a comment to CBS News on Tuesday, Hunter Biden’s attorney Chris Clark addressed his client’s plea agreement, stating, “it is my understanding that the five-year investigation into Hunter is resolved.”

While Clark said the matter involving his client is resolved, Weiss said in his own press statement on Tuesday that “the investigation is ongoing.”

The Epoch Times reached out to Clark’s offices for further details about what aspects of the investigation may remain active, but he did not respond by the time this article was published.

The Epoch Times also reached out to Weiss’s office but did not receive any additional comment about the ongoing investigation.

Republicans Question Hunter Biden Plea Deal

Several Republican lawmakers have criticized the plea deal for President Joe Biden’s son as overly lenient.

Former President Donald Trump, who was recently indicted on allegations of mishandling classified information, described the plea deal for his 2020 rival’s son as a “mere ‘traffic ticket'” punishment.

House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer (R-Ky.) also spoke out against the plea deal.

“Hunter Biden is getting away with a slap on the wrist when growing evidence uncovered by the House Oversight Committee reveals the Bidens engaged in a pattern of corruption, influence peddling, and possibly bribery,” Comer said in a Tuesday press statement. These charges against Hunter Biden and sweetheart plea deal have no impact on the Oversight Committee’s investigation. We will not rest until the full extent of President Biden’s involvement in the family’s schemes are revealed.”

Comer has been leading efforts in the Republican-controlled House to investigate claims of corruption and influence peddling tied to the Biden family. Last month, Comer described a possible money laundering scheme in which $10 million flowed from private clients, corporations, and foreign governments, to dozens of limited liability companies controlled by members of the Biden family. Comer’s investigative efforts have also unearthed allegations Joe Biden was involved in a foreign bribery scheme.

By continuing to investigate even after securing a plea deal from Hunter Biden, Weiss could uncover previously unknown activity involving Hunter Biden or other individuals with whom the president’s son is connected.

The Joe Biden bribery allegation could be a possible area of focus for Weiss’s office. Earlier this month, former U.S. Attorney General Bill Barr refuted claims he had terminated an investigation into the bribery allegations against the president, saying, “On the contrary, it was sent to Delaware for further investigation.”

President Stands by Son Hunter

Hunter Biden first revealed he was the subject of a federal tax investigation in December of 2020. At the time, the president’s son said he was taking the investigation “seriously” but said he was confident that the investigation would show he handled his “affairs legally and appropriately, including with the benefit of professional tax advisors.”

The president has continued to express faith that his son acted appropriately ever since the December 2020 announcement. In a May 5 interview with MSNBC, the president insisted that “my son has done nothing wrong.”

Following the plea deal announcement on Tuesday, White House spokesperson Ian Sams said, “The President and First Lady love their son and support him as he continues to rebuild his life.” Sams then said, “We will have no further comment.”

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.