Melbourne Police Fire Large Projectiles, Pepper Balls at Protesters on 3rd Day of Demonstrations

Mimi Nguyen Ly
By Mimi Nguyen Ly
September 22, 2021Australiashare

Police in Melbourne, Australia, fired pepper balls and large projectiles at unarmed civilians on Wednesday, seeking to disperse crowds that took to the streets to protest against the government’s vaccine mandates and COVID-19 restrictions.

This is the third day of demonstrations by construction industry workers in Melbourne against mandatory COVID-19 vaccination. Besides construction workers, protesters also included others who oppose mandatory vaccination as well as the extended lockdown in Victoria state.

Videos in the morning showed police firing shots at small groups of people in Melbourne’s central business district (CBD), with photos of the projectile rounds appearing to be half the size of a fist. A separate video showed a policeman tackling a woman onto the ground.

melbourne protest
Police attempt to disperse construction workers and demonstrators protesting against COVID-19 regulations in Melbourne on Sept. 22, 2021. (Con Chronis/AFP via Getty Images)

Starting in the early afternoon, groups of protesters, ultimately totaling about 2,000, converged from various areas and marched from around the Melbourne headquarters of the Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (CFMMEU) toward the Shrine of Remembrance, a sacred war memorial, ultimately gathering there later in the afternoon.

melbourne protest
Protesters are seen at the Shrine of Remembrance as Victorian Police patrol the area in Melbourne, Australia on Sept. 22, 2021. (Asanka Ratnayake/Getty Images)

Riot police deployed pepper spray to disperse the crowd as they marched down Elizabeth St, after which they scattered across the city before regrouping on Victoria St and continued onwards to the Shrine, reported the Herald Sun.

shrine of rememberance melbourne
Construction workers and demonstrators on the steps of the Shrine of Remembrance protest against COVID-19 regulations in Melbourne on Sept. 22, 2021. (Con Chronis/AFP via Getty Images)

At the Shrine, they chanted multiple slogans against vaccine mandates and against Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews. They also sang songs, including the national anthem. The crowd furthermore held a minute’s silence for those who died from suicide amid the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus pandemic.

Numbers dwindled at the shrine throughout the afternoon amid back and forth negotiations between the crowd and the riot police, who sought to ask them to peacefully leave the area without getting arrested.

Police surrounded the area at about 2:20 p.m., reported the Herald Sun. At the time, the vast majority of the group remained on the steps of the memorial.

A man on a loudspeaker called on police to stand down. “Protesting is a human right … we must be allowed to walk,” he told the surrounding officers, reported the outlet. “You still have a chance to do what you signed up to do, and have children who look up to you.

“We are here to be peaceful we don’t have weapons … we need you, like you need us,” the man said.

The standoff reportedly lasted over three hours, during which the crowd was heard chanting “hold your ground.” A video showed police officers taking select people away to arrest them amid the standoff.

By approximately 4:20 p.m., a police loudspeaker told the crowd they were “free to leave” via St Kilda Road. Heavily armed officers began to move in on the unarmed protesters, eventually surrounding a smaller number of protesters on the steps of the Shrine.

Australia Melbourne
Police arrest construction workers and demonstrators with tear gas on the steps of the Shrine of Remembrance during a protest against COVID-19 regulations in Melbourne, Australia on Sept. 22, 2021. (William West/AFP via Getty Images)

Video from independent journalist Rukshan Fernando, also known as The Real Rukshan on social media, showed protesters scattering in all directions in a frenzy amid sounds of shots fired. Riot officers aimed their weapons at the unarmed crowd. A desperate cry of  “Stop!” can be heard amid the shots. It is unclear how many people in the crowd were injured as they fled the area.

The crowd was dispersed just before 5 p.m.

melbourne protesters run
Construction workers and demonstrators react after police fire tear gas around the Shrine of Remembrance during a protest against COVID-19 regulations in Melbourne, Australia on Sept. 22, 2021. (Con Chronis/AFP via Getty Images)

Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Ross Guenther said that foam baton rounds and capsicum spray were being fired to disperse the unarmed civilians, reported The Age. There were about 400 in the area at the time, and police arrested more than 200 people throughout the day, he said.

Guenther said that people had thrown flares, golf balls, tap handles, and batteries at police officers. Two officers sustained head injuries after bottles were thrown at them, and another officer went to hospital with chest pain and is under observation, he said at a press conference Wednesday.

He acknowledged that there were “small breakaway groups that see benefit in hijacking” the event, but that more intelligence is required for police to determine who these groups were.

He said that police tactics differed from the day prior, and that on Wednesday they were “very successful” in breaking up groups of protesters to prevent large gatherings—at least until they gathered at the Shrine of Remembrance, where police managed the situation in what he called a “very safe and effective way.”

Protests Continue In Melbourne Over COVID-19 Restrictions And Vaccine Requirements
A riot police officer wields a weapon looking onwards at protesters near the Shrine of Remembrance, in Melbourne, Australia on Sept. 22, 2021. (Darrian Traynor/Getty Images)

Guenther urged people to not come into the city in the future, threatening potential arrests and $5,000 fines. He told reporters, “It was completely disrespectful that the crowd ended up at the shrine, which is such hallowed ground in this great city.”

Protest Coverage to Be Delayed

New rules were introduced late Wednesday that will compel media outlets to delay publishing of aerial video footage of the protests in Melbourne.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), at the request of Victoria Police, temporarily banned media helicopters from flying over Melbourne to cover the protests. Following backlash on social media by several media members over the no-fly zone, the ban was rescinded.

Temporarily restrictions from CASA remain in Melbourne’s airspace, whereby media outlets will have to apply for approval from Victoria police to operate their aircraft over the area.

“Media outlets will also be required to delay publishing any live-stream footage from the air by 60 minutes or at the conclusion of the operation,” a spokeswoman said. “This is because protesters were actively monitoring aerial live streams, compromising the police operation and putting the safety of members at risk.”

The restrictions are effective until Sunday.

How Protests Started

Construction workers had initially gathered on Sept. 20 outside the Victorian office of the CFMMEU and called for its Victorian state secretary, John Setka, to stand down.

They accused Setka of having failed to do anything to support them in their calls to end vaccine mandates for the construction industry, which takes effect Sept. 24.

The Victorian state government announced on Sept. 20 that construction will shut down in metropolitan Melbourne and four other Local Government Areas for two weeks, citing “continued concern about case numbers, transmission risk, and reduced compliance.”

The move met with widespread condemnation, and thousands of Victorians marched to protest the situation on Sept. 21 around Melbourne CBD. The protests continued on Wednesday, with people vowing that they would demonstrate “every day” until they see some changes.

Caden Pearson contributed to this report.

From The Epoch Times