House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Tuesday responded to a group of FBI agents breaching former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida on Monday.
Pelosi told TODAY co-anchor, Savannah Guthrie, that she doesn’t “know very much” about the unannounced raid and that the only information she currently has is “in the public domain.”
“I, as others, learned on my phone that that had happened,” Pelosi said. “I’m sure that information will be revealed, and when it does, we’ll find out what they were looking for. It seems it had something to do with presidential documents.”
The FBI executed a search warrant approved by U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart on Aug. 5, court records show. Reinhart issued the order in response to multiple requests, including a warrant for electronic communications suspected to be relevant to an ongoing criminal investigation, according to docket entries.
In Tuesday’s interview, Guthrie asked Pelosi to comment on House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s statement, saying “when Republicans take back the House,” they will “conduct immediate oversight” of the Department of Justice (DOJ).
Attorney General Garland: preserve your documents and clear your calendar. pic.twitter.com/dStAjnwbAT
— Kevin McCarthy (@GOPLeader) August 9, 2022
Pelosi responded that whatever McCarthy is saying “is probably idle,” adding that she believes “Democrats are going to win the House” in the 2022 midterms, referencing what’s happening with Roe v. Wade and legislation Democrats are passing.
“But nonetheless, we believe in the rule of law. That’s what our country is about,” Pelosi said regarding the FBI’s search. “And no person is above the law. Not even the president of the United States. Not even a former president of the United States.”
The FBI has declined to comment on the raid. The DOJ has not returned an inquiry. A White House official told The Epoch Times in an email it was not notified of the raid before it took place.
Trump announced in a statement late on Aug. 8 that his Mar-a-Largo estate was “under siege” and “occupied by a group of FBI agents,” calling it evidence of “prosecutorial misconduct” and a “weaponization of the Justice System.”
“After working and cooperating with the relevant Government agencies, this unannounced raid on my home was not necessary or appropriate,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social, adding that the feds “broke into my safe!”
Trump’s lawyer, Christina Bobb, confirmed with CNN late on Monday that the FBI seized documents from the former president’s Florida resort.
Earlier this year, Trump returned more than a dozen boxes of records kept at the Mar-a-Largo resort to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), which it said contained materials marked as classified national security information.
Lara Trump, the former president’s daughter-in-law, said on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight” on Aug. 8 that everyone “from my father-in-law’s team has been cooperating with the FBI, with any authority that asks for anything up until now,” noting that there was no need for an unannounced raid.