Video of US Fighter Jet Shooting Down UFO Over Lake Huron Emerges in New Pentagon Files

The Lake Huron footage was among more than 50 previously classified videos included in Friday's release.
Published: 5/22/2026, 4:18:43 PM EDT
Video of US Fighter Jet Shooting Down UFO Over Lake Huron Emerges in New Pentagon Files
A government photo shows “unidentified aerial phenomena.” (Department of War)
A newly released infrared video shows a U.S. F-16 fighter jet shooting down a diamond-shaped unidentified object over Michigan’s Lake Huron in February 2023, according to newly declassified Pentagon files.
The clip, taken on Feb. 12, 2023, was among 222 declassified records the Department of War posted to its website Friday—the second batch of documents, photos, and videos released under President Donald Trump's directive ordering federal agencies to make unresolved unidentified anomalous phenomena, or UAP, records available to the public.

The 46-second footage, filmed through an infrared sensor aboard a U.S. military jet within the U.S. Northern Command area of responsibility, shows the aircarft locking onto the object before what the Department of Defense described as a "weapons system" made contact. At the 11-second mark, the sensor zeros in on a contrasted shape at the center of its field of view. Seconds later, the object explodes in a burst that sends what appears to be shrapnel scattering outward in a radial pattern—what military analysts described as consistent with a high-energy event.

The All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office, known as AARO, assessed that the video was likely derived from an infrared sensor aboard a U.S. military platform and was uploaded to a classified network in February 2023. AARO noted that the materials in this collection lack a substantiated chain of custody.

The Lake Huron footage was among more than 50 previously classified videos included in Friday's release. Other clips showed four unidentified aerial phenomena appearing to form a coordinated pattern over water in Iran in August 2022, and a separate object filmed by a U.S. Coast Guard infrared sensor flying near a plane over the southeastern United States in April 2024.

The release is the second tranche under a program called PURSUE. The first batch was made public on May 8, 2026.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the long-classified materials have stoked public curiosity for years and that the Trump administration made a deliberate choice to act.

"These files, hidden behind classifications, have long fueled justified speculation — and it's time the American people see it for themselves," Hegseth said in the Department of War release. "This release of declassified documents demonstrates the Trump Administration's earnest commitment to unprecedented transparency."

The Department of War acknowledged that the released materials represent unresolved cases—meaning the government has been unable to make a definitive determination about the nature of the observed phenomena—and said it welcomes analysis from the private sector. Additional tranches are expected to be released on a rolling basis every few weeks as records are discovered and declassified.