This Butternut Squash Soup is the perfect start at your holiday table! It’s simple and deliciously smooth and creamy! Plus, butternut squash is rich in important vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
Learn more about Taking Cancer on Through Flavour initiative by Boehringer Ingelheim.
• 8 oz./225 g Italian sausage
• 2.5 lb./900 g Butternut squash, peeled and seeded
• ½ Onion (130g)
• ½ Red bell pepper (60g)
• 2 cloves Garlic, minced
• 8 oz./225 g Canned Corn, whole Kernel
• 3 cups/720 ml Low sodium chicken broth
• 1 Canned Tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
• 1 Canned Great Northern Beans (14 oz.), rinsed and drained
• Salt, to taste
• Black Pepper, to taste
• 2 tsp. Heavy Cream (optional)
• Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1. Cut squash into 1-inch chunks.
2. In a pot, cook sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat for 4-6 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Remove with a spoon and set aside.
3.Add squash, 1½ cups corn and chicken broth to same pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, covered and simmer 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
4. Using a blender or an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
5.Add beans, tomatoes, salt & pepper, sausage mixture and bring to a boil.
6.If desired, drizzle servings with heavy cream and sprinkle with parsley.