Jay Leno Released From Hospital Following Burn Injuries

Jay Leno Released From Hospital Following Burn Injuries
U.S. comedian Jay Leno poses in front of a 1979 Ford F-150 pickup, in the style of one owned by Walmart founder Sam Walton during the 27th annual Woodward Dream Cruise, in Royal Oak, Mich., on Aug. 20, 2022. (Jeff Kowalsky/AFP via Getty Images)

Comedian Jay Leno has been released from a burn center in Los Angeles after sustaining injuries to his hands, face, and chest when a vintage car he was working on burst into flames earlier this month.

The 72-year-old former “The Tonight Show” host was discharged from the Grossman Burn Center on Nov. 21, doctors said in a press release, sharing a picture of Leno posing with some members of his care team.

“After a 10-day stay at the facility, Jay will receive follow-up care at the Grossman Outpatient Burn Clinic for burns to his face, chest, and hands he received during a fire at his home garage,” according to a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

“Jay would like to let everyone know how thankful he is for the care he received, and is very appreciative of all of the well wishes,” it added. “He is looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with his family and friends and wishes everyone a wonderful holiday.”

Peter H. Grossman, medical director of the center at West Hills Hospital, categorized Leno’s injuries as second-degree, or verging on more severe, during a televised news conference last week. He also noted that the comedian was “in good spirits.”

Some of the facial wounds “are a little bit deeper and a little more concerning” because they’re showing signs of progressing to third-degree, as can happen with burns, Grossman said.

The fire happened at the Burbank garage where Leno stores his famed collection of cars and other motor vehicles. In a statement earlier this week, Leno referred to the burns as “serious.”

“I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire,” Leno said in a statement. “I am ok. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet.”

Leno is one of America’s best-known television hosts, attracting millions of viewers after hosting “The Tonight Show” for many years.

In 2009, he was succeeded by Conan O’Brien, but NBC got cold feet when the show’s rating plummeted and brought Leno back as a host in 2010. He remained in the job until Jimmy Fallon took over in 2014.

Since leaving “The Tonight Show,” the known car aficionado began his own series called “Jay Leno’s Garage” in 2015, and now also hosts a revival of the game show “You Bet Your Life.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments