LeBron James Evacuates From His Home Because of the Los Angeles Wildfires

LeBron James said on Twitter early Monday morning that he had to evacuate from his home because of the wildfires in the Los Angeles area.

“Had to emergency evacuate my house and I’ve been driving around with my family trying to get rooms. No luck so far!” James wrote.

James later tweeted that he found accommodations and sent prayers to families in the area, saying, “Pretty please get to safety ASAP.”

“My best wishes as well to the first responders right now doing what they do best!” James said in another tweet.

The Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) issued mandatory evacuation orders for areas bordering the 405 Freeway near the The Getty Center where a brush fire, dubbed the Getty Fire, broke out in the early hours of Monday morning.

Nearly 200,000 Californians Fled Their Homes

A massive blaze forced nearly 200,000 people out of their homes and a power shutoff left about a million in the dark across Northern California on Sunday.

The utility company behind the shutoff said some customers may remain without power until Thursday, following another possible planned outage later this week.

The Kincade Fire in Sonoma County has so far scorched more than 54,000 acres and destroyed nearly 100 structures. It was only 5 percent contained late Sunday, officials said, down from 10 percent over the weekend.

Firefighter passes a burning home
Woodbridge firefighter Joe Zurilgen passes a burning home as the Kincade Fire rages in Healdsburg, Calif., on Oct 27, 2019. (Noah Berger/AP Photo)

There was a second blaze burning in the state late Sunday. The Tick Fire, near Santa Clarita in the southern portion of the state, had destroyed 24 residences and damaged another 36, the Los Angeles County Fire Department said, adding the fire was 70 percent contained.

In response to the winds, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) shut off power to about 965,000 customers in northern portions of the state. An additional 100,000 lost power for other reasons, said Mark Quinlan, PG&E’s incident commander.

About 30,000 had their power restored early Monday morning, PG&E said. But other customers may be without power for a while.

The company said Sunday it was looking at another “widespread, strong and dry wind event” Tuesday through Wednesday which could prompt another public safety power shutoff.

“PG&E will make every effort to restore power to as many customers as possible who are currently out of power,” the company said Monday morning.

“However, due to the dynamic and changing weather conditions, and high fire risk, some customers who are currently out of power may remain out throughout the duration of the next potential PSPS event.”

PG&E power shut off
Pacific Gas & Electric crews work to restore power lines in Paradise, Calif., on Nov. 9, 2018. (Rich Pedroncelli/AP Photo)

The next shutoff could affect parts of 32 counties in Northern California, the company said.

The upcoming wind system will push through the state Tuesday, and Northern California will bear the brunt of it.

Though winds aren’t forecast to be as strong as the current system, it’ll still create dangerous fire conditions.

2019 CNN Trademark