Sorrento Fire Prompts Closures, Evacuations in San Diego

Firefighters stopped the fire’s forward spread after it reached 131 acres and 15 percent containment, according to San Diego Fire-Rescue.
Published: 8/18/2026, 4:26:12 PM EDT
Sorrento Fire Prompts Closures, Evacuations in San Diego
A Sikorsky Skycrane maneuvers into position to refill during efforts to fight the Widemouth 2 Fire east of Fillmore, Utah, on Aug. 4, 2026, before it crashed on Aug. 7. (Scott G Winterton/The Deseret News via AP)

A vegetation fire near Sorrento Valley in San Diego prompted mandatory evacuation orders, evacuation warnings and road closures over the weekend before officials reopened residential areas and made progress containing the blaze.

The Sorrento Fire burned near Sorrento Valley Boulevard and Carmel Mountain Road in San Diego, according to Cal Fire.
San Diego Fire-Rescue Department crews initially responded to a 2-acre vegetation fire in a canyon between Sorrento Valley Boulevard and Carmel Mountain Road, the department said in a series of updates posted on X. The fire was moving east through medium vegetation at a slow rate of spread, and no structures were threatened at that time.

The blaze later grew to 131 acres, according to Cal Fire. The agency reported 0 percent containment in its Sunday incident update and listed evacuation order zone SDC-1444. Evacuation warning zones included SDC-1399, SDC-1400, SDC-1401, SDC-1442, SDC-1443, SDC-1446, SDC-1492 and SDC-1494.

Firefighters stopped the fire’s forward spread after it reached 131 acres and 15 percent containment, according to San Diego Fire-Rescue. Crews continued constructing containment lines and securing the fire perimeter.

By later Sunday, the fire remained at 131 acres and was 25 percent contained. All San Diego Fire-Rescue and Cal Fire aerial resources had been released, while ground crews were expected to work overnight on containment lines and hot spots.

More than 125 fire personnel, including engine companies, brush rigs, Cal Fire hand crews and dozers, remained assigned to the incident as crews strengthened containment lines. Officials warned that smoke could remain visible while firefighters continued extinguishing hot spots.

The department reported Monday that the fire had expanded to 138 acres and reached 60 percent containment. More than 100 fire personnel were expected to return the following morning to reinforce containment lines, while firefighters patrolled overnight for hot spots. Officials said residents could still see smoke and flames in the area.

San Diego police assisted firefighters with the incident and closed portions of Vista Sorrento Parkway and Sorrento Valley Boulevard near Jasmine Crest Lane. Police asked the public to stay away from the area to keep access open for emergency vehicles.

Police also warned against unauthorized drone flights near the fire, saying drones can force emergency aircraft to stop water-dropping operations, the department said in a post on X.

A temporary evacuation point was opened at Mandell Weiss Eastgate Park, 4161 Eastgate Mall, according to fire officials.

By Sunday, San Diego police said all evacuation warnings had been lifted, though the mandatory evacuation order for zone SDC-1444 would remain for several more hours while firefighters monitored and mopped up affected areas. Traffic was expected to return gradually as fire resources cleaned up and left the scene.

The county later lifted evacuation warnings and orders for the fire, with the exception of Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve, which remained closed, according to a County of San Diego alert. Residential areas reopened, although road closures remained in effect, the county said.

Residents can check current evacuation and closure information through AlertSanDiego.org or the Alert San Diego and Genasys Protect applications.