President Donald Trump warned Wednesday night that the United States will “massively blow up” Iran’s South Pars natural gas field if Iran attacks Qatar again.
“The United States of America, with or without the help or consent of Israel, will massively blow up the entirety of the South Pars Gas Field at an amount of strength and power that Iran has never seen or witnessed before,” Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social. “I do not want to authorize this level of violence and destruction because of the long term implications that it will have on the future of Iran, but if Qatar’s LNG is again attacked, I will not hesitate to do so.”
Qatar’s state oil giant QatarEnergy said on Wednesday that Iranian missile attacks on the country’s industrial site Ras Laffan have caused “extensive damage.”
The United Arab Emirates shut down gas operations early Thursday after intercepting missiles targeting its Habshan gas facility and Bab field. The UAE government called it a “dangerous escalation” in the Iran war.
Retaliatory Attack
Iranian strikes on Gulf energy sites followed missile attacks Wednesday on Iran’s South Pars natural gas field in Asaluyeh, Bushehr province, in southern Iran. The world’s largest natural gas reserve is shared with Qatar, where the same field is called the North Field. The South Pars field supplies a considerable share of global natural gas reserves and is critical to both Iran’s and Qatar’s economies.Trump said the strikes on South Pars were done by Israel “out of anger for what has taken place in the Middle East” and were without his knowledge.
“The United States knew nothing about this particular attack, and the country of Qatar was in no way, shape, or form, involved with it, nor did it have any idea that it was going to happen,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
“Unfortunately, Iran did not know this, or any of the pertinent facts pertaining to the South Pars attack, and unjustifiably and unfairly attacked a portion of Qatar’s LNG Gas facility.”
He stated that Israel would not strike the gas site again, but warned Iran of U.S. retaliation if there are any further strikes on Qatar.
Iran vowed reprisals against oil and gas infrastructure in neighboring Gulf states. Iranian officials urged civilians to stay away from important oil and gas sites across the Persian Gulf.
Brent crude prices skyrocketed to approximately $109.80 per barrel after the attacks, the highest level since 2023.
In its ninth letter to the United Nations and UN Security Council, Qatar condemned the latest Iranian attacks on its territory.
“This aggression constitutes a flagrant violation of its national sovereignty, a direct threat to its security and territorial integrity, and an unacceptable escalation that jeopardizes the security and stability of the region,” the letter reads.
Previously, Qatar sent a letter directly to Iran. “The ministry stressed that the continuation of this hostile approach by the Iranian side will be met with additional measures by the State of Qatar, in a manner that ensures the protection of its sovereignty, security, and national interests,” it reads.
The latest violence fits into an 18-day war that began after nuclear talks between the United States and Iran collapsed in late February. The United States has conducted strikes against Iranian targets, including missile sites, naval assets and other infrastructure.