Update: Sherin Mathews Showed Signs of Abuse, Doctor Said

Janita Kan
By Janita Kan
November 30, 2017USshare
Update: Sherin Mathews Showed Signs of Abuse, Doctor Said
Sherin Mathews. (Richardson Police Department/Facebook)

Sherin Mathews, the 3-year-old girl who was reported missing by her adoptive father and found in a suburban Dallas, Texas, culvert in October, suffered multiple bone fractures, a doctor said on Nov. 29.

The toddler was adopted from India and lived with her adoptive parents, Wesley and Sini Mathews, and their biological daughter.

Dr. Suzanne Dakil testified in a three-hour court hearing where Sherin’s adoptive parents were seeking to recover custody of their biological child, reported The Dallas Morning News. Their biological daughter, also 3 years old, was placed in foster care, but was transferred to her relatives earlier this month.

Dakil said she found several bone fractures that were inconsistent with the cause of the injuries that the Mathews had told her about.

The family told Dakil that Sherin had suffered a bone fracture last September when her sister had pushed her off the couch. In January this year, another doctor referred Sherin to Dakil because she was underweight, The Dallas Morning News reported, citing court testimony.

The next month, the toddler was hospitalized for a skin infection and possible joint and muscle infections. Dakil said the girl had injuries in her upper-arm bones, which the mother said was due to her slipping off a playground set. The doctor testified that Sherin’s injuries were not consistent with that explanation.

Dakil further told the court that after looking at a series of X-rays, she determined the toddler also had a number of fractures in her legs. The mother, she said, explained that the reason for the fractures was because Sherin had brittle bones as a result of being fed rice and coffee creamer in India.

However, Dakil was not convinced. After the second examination of X-rays in March, she concluded that Sherin’s bones weren’t brittle and that her injuries had occurred after her time in India. Sherin was not in daycare at the time, and her parents had been identified as her sole caregivers, The Dallas Morning News reported.

“At that point, I had no explanation other than this child had been physically abused,” Dakil said in her testimony.

Subsequently, the doctor made a report about Sherin’s condition with Child Protective Services (CPS).

Throughout the court hearing, the Mathews repeatedly invoked their Fifth Amendment right to not incriminate themselves.

According to an arrest warrant for Wesley Mathews in October, he alleged that he’d been trying to get the 3-year-old to drink her milk in the garage at 3 a.m. on Oct. 7, and “physically assisted” her when she wouldn’t listen.

Sherin started coughing and her breathing slowed. Moments later, Wesley Mathews no longer felt a pulse on the child and believed she had died. He then admitted to removing her body from the home.

However, he initially told police that he sent her out to stand next to a tree as punishment for not drinking her milk. She was found dead on Oct. 22.

Wesley Mathews was arrested and charged with injury to a child on Oct. 23.

Sini turned herself into the police on Nov. 16 after Richardson Police said she and her husband left Sherin home alone the day before her death to have dinner, taking their biological daughter with them. She was charged with abandoning or endangering a child .

The Epoch Times contributed to this report.

Dear reader,

We have a little favor to ask of you. We work hard to deliver important and interesting articles every day, but we can’t do it without people reading our them. Please help support independent journalism by sharing this article with your friends and family. It takes less than a minute. Thank you!

ntd newsletter icon
Sign up for NTD Daily
What you need to know, summarized in one email.
Stay informed with accurate news you can trust.
By registering for the newsletter, you agree to the Privacy Policy.