Man, Juvenile Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide Shooting at Nevada Airport

The Elko Regional Airport said the terminal would remain closed until about noon on Tuesday following the shooting.
Published: 4/14/2026, 2:38:34 PM EDT
Man, Juvenile Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide Shooting at Nevada Airport
Elko Regional Airport in Elko, Nev., in July 2015. (Google Maps/Screenshot via NTD)

Authorities in Nevada are investigating the apparent murder-suicide of a man and a juvenile after a shooting at the Elko Regional Airport.

The Elko Police Department said in a Facebook statement Monday that the airport would be closed to all traffic as officials were "investigating a crime scene" at the facility.

Two people were found with gunshot wounds inside the airport following the shooting, which occurred around noon, local media reported.

Officials told ABC4 News that an adult male shot an adolescent in a bathroom before fatally shooting himself near the check-in area. The man died at the scene from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. The adolescent was taken to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Elko Police Lt. Shane Daz told the station that the apparent murder-suicide was an unusual crime for the area, describing Elko as a small, tight-knit community.

"This is not a common incident here," Daz said. "I can say these two people are not from the Elko area. We're still investigating where they were coming from. They had a rental car and their rental car broke down and they were brought here."

NTD reached out to the Elko Regional Airport and the Elko Police Department for additional information, but responses were not received by publication time.

The Elko Regional Airport serves as the primary commercial flight hub for northeastern Nevada. The facility offers limited scheduled passenger service, including connecting flights to and from Salt Lake City, Utah, along with general aviation operations.

On Monday following the shooting, the regional airport announced that all flights had been canceled until further notice. In an update shared Tuesday morning, officials said the terminal would remain closed until around midday local time and encouraged travelers to check their flight status before heading to the airport.

"Thank you for your patience and understanding," the airport said.

The identities and ages of the man and juvenile have not yet been released. Officials have also not shared a motive in the shooting, and it remains unclear what led up to the incident.

Speaking to ABC4, Daz urged anyone who is struggling with mental health issues to seek support.

"This is a tragic incident. Anybody that's dealing with mental health problems, we encourage you to please reach out and get help," he said. "It's unfortunate this incident happened, and we don't want it to ever resort to something like this in the future."