Trump: US, Canada Will Not Restart Trade Talks but Carney Apologized for Anti-Tariff Ad

'I like him a lot but what they did was wrong,' he said. 'He apologized for what they did with the commercial because it was a false commercial.'
Published: 10/31/2025, 10:12:46 PM EDT

WASHINGTON—President Donald Trump said on Friday the United States and Canada will not restart trade talks but Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney apologized to him for an Ontario political ad using former President Ronald Reagan saying tariffs spell disaster.

"I like him a lot but what they did was wrong," he said. "He apologized for what they did with the commercial because it was a false commercial."

Carney said on Saturday he had apologized to Trump over an anti-tariff political advertisement and had told Ontario Premier Doug Ford not to run it.

Carney, speaking to reporters after attending an Asia-Pacific summit in South Korea, said he had made the apology privately to Trump when they both attended a dinner hosted by South Korea's president on Wednesday.

"I did apologize to the president," Carney said, confirming comments by Trump made on Friday.

Carney also confirmed that he had reviewed the ad with Ford before it aired, but said he had opposed using it.

"I told Ford I did not want to go forward with the ad," he said.

Trump last week called off negotiations over the advertisement aired by the Canadian province of Ontario, adding he was increasing tariffs on Canada by an additional 10 percent.

The ad by the Ontario government featured Republican icon Reagan saying that tariffs on foreign goods while lead to trade wars and job losses.

Reagan was known for his support of free markets and free trade.