5 Americans, Ecuador Intelligence Director, and Wife Among 7 Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash

Officials had not publicly identified the other American victims or the pilot as of Wednesday evening.
Published: 8/19/2026, 5:09:08 PM EDT
video poster
Trailer
Five Americans, including a longtime Telemundo executive and Ecuador's intelligence director and wife, were among seven people killed Wednesday when a helicopter carrying tourists crashed in a remote, mountainous area of northern Kenya, officials said.

The helicopter went down near Mount Ololokwe in Samburu County at about 9:13 a.m., according to the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority. Six passengers and a pilot were aboard. Samburu police commander David Nkoroi said no one survived.

José Alberto Suárez, 55, president and general manager of three Florida stations in Orlando, Tampa, and Fort Myers-Naples owned by Telemundo, a U.S.-based Spanish-language television network, was among those killed. NBCUniversal and Telemundo leaders confirmed his death in a joint statement.

“José was an exceptional colleague who cared deeply about his teams, the communities they served and the important role our stations play in people’s lives,” the statement said. Suárez was remembered for his energy, humor, warmth, and strong sense of purpose in his work.

Michele Sensi-Contugi, director general of Ecuador’s Strategic Intelligence Center, and his wife, Stephany Hollihan, also died in the crash. Ecuador’s government confirmed their deaths and offered condolences to their relatives and loved ones.

“At this time of profound grief, the national government extends its deepest condolences to their families, loved ones and close associates, whom it supports with respect, solidarity and affection. May they rest in peace,” said the Office of the President of the Republic of Ecuador.

Sensi-Contugi, a friend and close associate of Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa, was visiting Kenya as a tourist with his wife, Stephany Hollihan, who also died. She was a U.S. and Ecuadorian citizen. They are survived by two children.

Officials had not publicly identified the other American victims or the pilot as of Wednesday evening.

The helicopter, operated by Lady Lori Helicopters, was carrying guests of luxury travel company &Beyond. Kenya’s aviation authority said it was flying from Loisaba Conservancy to the Ewaso Nyiro area when it crashed.

Following the crash, the Kenya Red Cross said search and recovery efforts were underway but were "hampered by difficult terrain access and an active fire at the crash site." The organization said an additional team had been dispatched from Isiolo to reinforce the operation.

Tropic Air Kenya, a local safari operator, said in a statement that it dispatched two of its helicopters to aid search and rescue operations. The aviation authority said the aircraft was a Eurocopter EC130 B4.

The State Department said the U.S. Embassy was working with Kenyan authorities and providing consular assistance.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.