Health officials have received over 500 public tips about potential child care fraud, part of a broader initiative to safeguard taxpayer dollars and investigate the misuse of federal child care funds, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said on Jan. 21.
Officials with HHS’s Administration for Children and Families said the agency established a tip line at childcare.gov to alert authorities of suspected fraud.
“I just returned from Minnesota, where I met with whistleblowers and state officials about welfare and medicaid fraud,” said O’Neill. “I also visited a former cannery that claims to house dozens of medicaid providers.” O’Neill emphasized that they are “stopping Minnesota and other states from allowing federal funds to be diverted into scams.”
Adams also said federal officials are addressing what he called loopholes in child care regulations that made fraud easier to commit. “We are also closing Biden-era loopholes in childcare regulations that made fraud easy to perpetrate and harder to catch,” Adams said.
Independent journalist Nick Shirley was among the witnesses at the hearing. His YouTube reporting has drawn national attention for exposing alleged fraud in Minnesota's social services programs, using viral videos and in-depth investigative work to highlight the issue.
“I became aware of the fraud occurring in the state of Minnesota in June. Minnesotans reached out to me, talking about the fraud that was taking place inside of their community,” he said. “One of the Minnesotans was a real estate agent who had seen strange, assisted living centers or home healthcare’s pop up next to the homes that she was selling.”
“Governor Walz has said he has been fighting fraud in Minnesota since 2019 and said the buck stops with him. However, it seems like him and his state have been enabling this fraud to continue to go on for years,” Shirley said.
"The buck stops with me, and my focus now is on ensuring that not a single dollar falls into the wrong hands," Walz wrote. "That’s why we’ve put locks on the doors—why we’ve installed new leadership at DHS with a single-minded focus on stopping fraudulent payments."
“Since my reporting, the HHS department froze $185 million in childcare until a business could show proof that they are a legitimate business. Currently, not a single business has submitted any proof of legitimacy,” he said.
“Yet within the last month, the state has withheld over $400,000 in Medicaid funds for my program, and that number is growing daily. I had to use a line of credit to survive these weeks, but can't survive much longer without payment,” she said.
Larson described the essential needs of the children her center serves and the range of services it provides.
She emphasized that the crisis in Minnesota was not caused by reputable, established autism service providers but by coordinated criminal networks.
According to Larons, these networks exploited autism programs by creating sham facilities, submitting claims for non-existent children, billing for services never rendered, and ultimately diverting millions of taxpayer dollars.
She said what is happening is a result of “a clumsy government response that fails to distinguish between criminals and caregivers. It treats children with disabilities as acceptable collateral damage.”
