A family from the UK has been devastated by the recent loss of their pet Chihuahua Coco. The brave little dog had no idea its owners were safe and jumped into a burning van to try and save them. The van then exploded and Coco perished.
The Farrant family was on a road trip to Scotland to ring in the New Year when their van’s engine started smoking on the motorway. Dan Farrant was able to get his three sons—aged 5, 6, and 9—out of the blazing van, but then the passenger door jammed as the flames reached the windows, trapping his wife, Cara Farrant, and their 3-year-old daughter, Thea, inside. Meanwhile, Cara managed to throw Coco out of the van.
“I remember looking in [and] I thought it was too late,” Dan said, according to DailyMail. “Cara and Thea was trapped in.”
“I will never forget the look and never forget the screaming at this point,” he said. “I remember turning around and the flames were the full height of the windscreen just behind me.”
Another car had stopped to help, and finally Dan managed to get his wife and daughter out of the back doors of the van, joining the three sons.
During the confusion, Coco didn’t see Cara and Thea come out. Thinking they were still in the van, the little dog jumped back into the burning van to save its family members.
As the situation worsened in the dark on the A74M near Moffatt, Scotland, no one noticed Coco was missing.
It wasn’t until Cara went to the car that had stopped to help that she realized Coco wasn’t with the children and had run back into the vehicle.
“We tried to run back, but the van exploded with Coco inside,” Dan said.
由 Cara Farrant 发布于 2018年12月31日周一
When firefighters arrived, they found the little dog’s body under the front seat.
“I was only a few seconds from losing my wife and my little girl Thea. Instead, we lost our best companion, our angel Coco,” Dan said. “My children are suffering and having nightmares. They knew she had gone back in and watched our vehicle explode in front of them with their beloved dog inside.”
“I have no feelings other than just numbness,” he said. “My family nearly ended up from being six of us to being four in less than a few seconds.”
Cara was also devastated by the loss of Coco, who they have had for two years. She said, “The dog heard me screaming and we think this is when she ran back in to help me and Thea. I just wish Coco didn’t run back in to help me.”
“I’m just lucky it wasn’t me or my daughter that lost our lives but I will never get over losing Coco,” she said. “Coco was the glue to our family. If one of us was sad or ill she would stay with that person.”
A GoFundMe page has been started in order to try and help the family recover and replace some of the personal items that they lost in the fire, including car seats, clothes, and Christmas presents. The van that exploded was a newly bought camper converter, and the family’s insurance didn’t cover any of their losses.
The page had already raised £3,140 of the £3,000 goal, at the time of this publication.
From The Epoch Times